ties and chords with notes of the same pitch

ties and chords with notes of the same pitch

Federico Bruni
Hi,

this is just a nitpicking..
But I'd like to know if I'm missing something or not..

As you can see in the attached example, if in a chord there are two
notes of the same pitch, then in the tied chord one of them will be
displayed in the TabStaff.
I even tried a note-to-note tie, but it does not work.

The only workaround I found is removing one of the two notes in the
tied chord.
Of course, a note head will be missing in the Staff, but TabStaff will
be ok.

Is it right? Or there's a better solution?

Thanks for your feedback,

Federico

--
http://www.gnurag.net/blog/

\version "2.13.4"

\paper {
  indent = 0
  line-width = #160
  ragged-last = ##f
}

upper=  \relative c' {
  \time 2/4
  \key g \major
  \set TabStaff.stringTunings = #guitar-open-g-tuning

  % normal tie
  s4  < g\4 g b >4  ~
  < g\4 g b >8  g\4  g  b

  % note-to-note tie
  s4  < g\4~ g~ b~ >4
  < g\4 g b >8  g\4  g  b

  % workaround: fretted note removed --> correct output in TabStaff
  s4  < g\4 g b >4  ~
  < g b >8  g\4  g  b

}

lower=  \relative c {
  g2
  g2
  g2
  g2
  g2
  g2
}

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff = "guitar" <<
      \context Voice = "upper guitar" { \clef "G_8" \voiceOne  \upper }
      \context Voice = "lower guitar" { \clef "G_8" \voiceTwo  \lower }

    \new TabStaff = "tab" <<
      \context TabVoice = "upper tab" { \clef "moderntab" \voiceOne \upper }
      \context TabVoice = "lower tab" { \clef "moderntab" \voiceTwo \lower }

}

Re: ties and chords with notes of the same pitch

Marc Hohl
Federico Bruni schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> this is just a nitpicking..
> But I'd like to know if I'm missing something or not..
>
> As you can see in the attached example, if in a chord there are two
> notes of the same pitch, then in the tied chord one of them will be
> displayed in the TabStaff.
> I even tried a note-to-note tie, but it does not work.
I stumbled over this problem very early in one of my pieces and asked
about a solution in the list,
but even the lilypond masters didn't find a way to get rid of the second
tie (at least automatically).
If I remember correctly, the tie somehow uses the first matching entry
in the list of notes in the
grob placing process and therefore ignores the second note with the same
pitch.

Sorry, but this is the current state. Perhaps you can insert a
\once \override TabVoice.Tie #'transparent = ##t immediately in front of
the second tie
to make it invisible (my solution was very ugly, but I was in a hurry
and needed the tune
as soon as possible, so I removed the tie with a white pen and
photocopied the page ;-)

Marc

Marc Hohl wrote:

> Federico Bruni schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is just a nitpicking..
>> But I'd like to know if I'm missing something or not..
>>
>> As you can see in the attached example, if in a chord there are two
>> notes of the same pitch, then in the tied chord one of them will be
>> displayed in the TabStaff.
>> I even tried a note-to-note tie, but it does not work.
> I stumbled over this problem very early in one of my pieces and asked
> about a solution in the list,
> but even the lilypond masters didn't find a way to get rid of the second
> tie (at least automatically).
> If I remember correctly, the tie somehow uses the first matching entry
> in the list of notes in the
> grob placing process and therefore ignores the second note with the same
> pitch.

Ok

> Sorry, but this is the current state. Perhaps you can insert a
> \once \override TabVoice.Tie #'transparent = ##t immediately in front of
> the second tie
> to make it invisible (my solution was very ugly, but I was in a hurry
> and needed the tune
> as soon as possible, so I removed the tie with a white pen and
> photocopied the page ;-)
>
> Marc

:-)
Well, thanks for the \override tip, but I think I'll just remove one
of the notes in the tied chord.
I don't care that much for a missing note head in Staff, while I do
care for a good-looking TabStaff.

--
http://www.gnurag.net/blog/