string number in TabStaff: show or hide?

string number in TabStaff: show or hide?

Federico Bruni
Hi,

I've done some small tests with 2.13.4 and it seems to work great.

I have question for Marc and for all the other tablature users.
I can see the default behaviour is still printing the string numbers
in the TabStaff.

I think it's redundant (of course, because there is the tab which says
which string I'm supposed to pick).
Also it's noisy and it takes the space that should be available for
left-hand/right-hand indications.

Marc, you seemed to agree with me.. (see message below)
What the other people think about it?

Should this (hide string number) be the default settings?

If we agree on this change, it could be added in the next soon-coming
version.
Otherwise, I'll keep using my override ;-)

Marc Hohl wrote:
 > Federico Bruni schrieb:
 >> [...]
 >> I want just to express (briefly) my point of view, as I was not
 >> present when all of you discussed these issues.
 >>
 >> [...]
 >> Here's the stuff I want to change (I post it in case someone may be
 >> interested..):
 >> * remove string number from Staff (there is the tab, so this is very
 >> redundant)
 > Ok, agreed.
 >> * add Arpeggio to TabStaff
 > David, do you know more? What's the "official" way of writing
arpeggios?
 >> * remove parentheses around numbers from ties after a line break and
 >> from repeatTie (this requires also some changes in tablature.ly)
 > Perhaps there will be an option so that you can switch between
 > parenthesized fret
 > numbers and no numbers at all - I'll think about it.

Re: string number in TabStaff: show or hide?

Marc Hohl
Federico Bruni schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I've done some small tests with 2.13.4 and it seems to work great.
>
> I have question for Marc and for all the other tablature users.
> I can see the default behaviour is still printing the string numbers
> in the TabStaff.
You mean the string nubers in the normal staff, right? :-)

> I think it's redundant (of course, because there is the tab which says
> which string I'm supposed to pick).
> Also it's noisy and it takes the space that should be available for
> left-hand/right-hand indications.
>
> Marc, you seemed to agree with me.. (see message below)
> What the other people think about it?
Yes, and I still do, but - see below.

> Should this (hide string number) be the default settings?
The problem is that the string numbers appear in a *normal* staff
which should somehow (automagically) know that there will be
another *TabStaff* dealing with exactly the same input if you want
it to remove the string numbers.
As far as I know, this isn't possible in lilypond.
And globally assuming that every guitarist will use normal and tablature
notation
in every case is too far from reality, I think.

> If we agree on this change, it could be added in the next soon-coming
> version.
> Otherwise, I'll keep using my override ;-)

As an alternative, it is possible to write a music function which takes
your guitar music
as input and creates both normal and tablature staves - within this
function, you can
make the string numbers disappear as default.

CombinedTabStaff = #(define-music-function (aprser location music)
(ly:music?)
  #{
    <<
      \new Staff \with { \override Staff.StringNumber #'transparent =
##t } { $music }
      \new TabStaff { $music }

  #}

(This is untested and perhaps buggy, but in gerneral, it won't be too
difficult ...
With such a function you can use

\CombinedTabStaff { ...your music here ... }
to get a normal staff without string numbers and a tab staff as well.

Marc

Marc Hohl wrote:
> Federico Bruni schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've done some small tests with 2.13.4 and it seems to work great.
>>
>> I have question for Marc and for all the other tablature users.
>> I can see the default behaviour is still printing the string numbers
>> in the TabStaff.
> You mean the string nubers in the normal staff, right? :-)

yes

[..]

>> Should this (hide string number) be the default settings?
> The problem is that the string numbers appear in a *normal* staff
> which should somehow (automagically) know that there will be
> another *TabStaff* dealing with exactly the same input if you want
> it to remove the string numbers.
> As far as I know, this isn't possible in lilypond.
> And globally assuming that every guitarist will use normal and tablature
> notation
> in every case is too far from reality, I think.

Yes, of course.. I didn't think about that, you are right.
So nevermind.. I just wanted to be sure that you didn't forget this
issue, but now I can see you didn't at all

>> If we agree on this change, it could be added in the next soon-coming
>> version.
>> Otherwise, I'll keep using my override ;-)
>>
> As an alternative, it is possible to write a music function which takes
> your guitar music
> as input and creates both normal and tablature staves - within this
> function, you can
> make the string numbers disappear as default.
>
> CombinedTabStaff = #(define-music-function (aprser location music)
> (ly:music?)
>  #{
>    <<
>      \new Staff \with { \override Staff.StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
> } { $music }
>      \new TabStaff { $music }
>    >>
>  #}
>
> (This is untested and perhaps buggy, but in gerneral, it won't be too
> difficult ...
> With such a function you can use
>
> \CombinedTabStaff { ...your music here ... }
> to get a normal staff without string numbers and a tab staff as well.

thanks, but I'll keep using this simple code (that you suggested me
some weeks ago) in my personal-tab-settings file :-)

\layout {
   \context {
     \Staff
     \override StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
   }
}

Federico Bruni schrieb:

> Marc Hohl wrote:
>> Federico Bruni schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've done some small tests with 2.13.4 and it seems to work great.
>>>
>>> I have question for Marc and for all the other tablature users.
>>> I can see the default behaviour is still printing the string numbers
>>> in the TabStaff.
>> You mean the string nubers in the normal staff, right? :-)
>
> yes
>
> [..]
>>>
>>> Should this (hide string number) be the default settings?
>> The problem is that the string numbers appear in a *normal* staff
>> which should somehow (automagically) know that there will be
>> another *TabStaff* dealing with exactly the same input if you want
>> it to remove the string numbers.
>> As far as I know, this isn't possible in lilypond.
>> And globally assuming that every guitarist will use normal and
>> tablature notation
>> in every case is too far from reality, I think.
>
> Yes, of course.. I didn't think about that, you are right.
> So nevermind.. I just wanted to be sure that you didn't forget this
> issue, but now I can see you didn't at all
No problem at all - at first glance, I thought this could be easily
done, but I was wrong;
so my first response was simply too enthusiastic...

>>> If we agree on this change, it could be added in the next
>>> soon-coming version.
>>> Otherwise, I'll keep using my override ;-)
>>>
>> As an alternative, it is possible to write a music function which
>> takes your guitar music
>> as input and creates both normal and tablature staves - within this
>> function, you can
>> make the string numbers disappear as default.
>>
>> CombinedTabStaff = #(define-music-function (aprser location music)
>> (ly:music?)
>>  #{
>>    <<
>>      \new Staff \with { \override Staff.StringNumber #'transparent =
>> ##t } { $music }
>>      \new TabStaff { $music }
>>    >>
>>  #}
>>
>> (This is untested and perhaps buggy, but in gerneral, it won't be too
>> difficult ...
>> With such a function you can use
>>
>> \CombinedTabStaff { ...your music here ... }
>> to get a normal staff without string numbers and a tab staff as well.
>>

> thanks, but I'll keep using this simple code (that you suggested me
> some weeks ago) in my personal-tab-settings file :-)
>

> \layout {
>   \context {
>     \Staff
>     \override StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
>   }
> }

Ok.

Greetings