some arpeggios still showing up in default TabStaff

some arpeggios still showing up in default TabStaff

Federico Bruni-2
While trying to find an easy way to group a small barré (2 or 3 notes)
inside a bracket, using \arpeggioBracket, I realized that some kinds of
arpeggios are still showing up in TabStaff (I mean the default one,
where arpeggios are supposed to be hidden, if I'm not wrong).

See the attached file.

\arpeggioNormal, \arpeggioArrowUp and \arpeggioArrowDown are hidden in
TabStaff. This is the expected behaviour (even though, personally, I use
to put an override in \layout and make them show up).

\arpeggioBracket, \arpeggioParenthesis, \arpeggioParenthesisDashed are
visible in TabStaff.
It looks like an inconsistency.
What do you think?

Let me add one more thing.
Let's say I want to use \arpeggioBracket to group small barré inside a bracket.
I want to see the bracket in Staff only, so if you are going to hide also these arpeggios I'll be ok.

But what if I want some kinds of arpeggio to be printed on TabStaff (normal and arrowed) and some others not?
Can I set different settings for each one?

Thanks,
Federico

arpeggio-in-tabstaff.ly (908 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: some arpeggios still showing up in default TabStaff

Marc Hohl
Am 03.05.2011 23:27, schrieb Federico Bruni:

> While trying to find an easy way to group a small barré (2 or 3 notes)
> inside a bracket, using \arpeggioBracket, I realized that some kinds of
> arpeggios are still showing up in TabStaff (I mean the default one,
> where arpeggios are supposed to be hidden, if I'm not wrong).
>
> See the attached file.
>
> \arpeggioNormal, \arpeggioArrowUp and \arpeggioArrowDown are hidden in
> TabStaff. This is the expected behaviour (even though, personally, I use
> to put an override in \layout and make them show up).
>
> \arpeggioBracket, \arpeggioParenthesis, \arpeggioParenthesisDashed are
> visible in TabStaff.
> It looks like an inconsistency.
> What do you think?
Yes, this is an inconsistency. These commands are defined in
ly/property-init.ly:

[snip]
%% arpeggios

% For drawing vertical chord brackets with \arpeggio
% This is a shorthand for the value of the print-function property
% of either Staff.Arpeggio or PianoStaff.Arpeggio, depending whether
% cross-staff brackets are desired.

arpeggio = #(make-music 'ArpeggioEvent)
arpeggioArrowUp = {
   \revert Arpeggio  #'stencil
   \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
   \override Arpeggio  #'arpeggio-direction = #UP
}
arpeggioArrowDown = {
   \revert Arpeggio #'stencil
   \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
   \override Arpeggio  #'arpeggio-direction = #DOWN
}
arpeggioNormal = {
   \revert Arpeggio #'stencil
   \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
   \revert Arpeggio #'arpeggio-direction
   \revert Arpeggio #'dash-definition
}
arpeggioBracket = {
   \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
   \override Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-bracket
}
arpeggioParenthesis = {
   \override Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur
   \override Arpeggio #'X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width
   \revert Arpeggio #'dash-definition
}
arpeggioParenthesisDashed = {
   \override Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur
   \override Arpeggio #'X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width
   \override Arpeggio #'dash-definition = #'((0 1 0.4 0.75))
}
[snip]

As you can see, arpeggioBracket \reverts the changes taken for
tablature.
I think one quick solution would be to include this part in your
document and replace "Arpeggio" by "Staff.Arpeggio" to make
sure the changes apply to normal staves only.
> Let me add one more thing.
> Let's say I want to use \arpeggioBracket to group small barré inside a bracket.
> I want to see the bracket in Staff only, so if you are going to hide also these arpeggios I'll be ok.
>
> But what if I want some kinds of arpeggio to be printed on TabStaff (normal and arrowed) and some others not?
> Can I set different settings for each one?
Well, you can change the appearance for TabStaff.Arpeggio #'<some
property> and
Staff.Arpeggio #'<some property> independently, but this could mean
you'll have to
write some more shortcuts like the ones defined above for better usability.

HTH,

Il giorno mer, 04/05/2011 alle 09.31 +0200, Marc Hohl ha scritto:
> Am 03.05.2011 23:27, schrieb Federico Bruni:
> > It looks like an inconsistency.
> > What do you think?
> Yes, this is an inconsistency. These commands are defined in
> ly/property-init.ly:

So it should be fixed somewhere. I guess it's an easy job for you...

> As you can see, arpeggioBracket \reverts the changes taken for
> tablature.
> I think one quick solution would be to include this part in your
> document and replace "Arpeggio" by "Staff.Arpeggio" to make
> sure the changes apply to normal staves only.
> > Let me add one more thing.
> > Let's say I want to use \arpeggioBracket to group small barré inside a bracket.
> > I want to see the bracket in Staff only, so if you are going to hide also these arpeggios I'll be ok.

This change works fine:

arpeggioBracket = {
  \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
  \override Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-bracket
  \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
}

But then I need to change arpeggioNormal as well (specifying the Staff
context in \revert Arpeggio #'stencil was not enough, I had to add the
override...I don't know why):

arpeggioNormal = {
  \revert Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil
  \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
  \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
  \revert Arpeggio #'arpeggio-direction
  \revert Arpeggio #'dash-definition
}

> > But what if I want some kinds of arpeggio to be printed on TabStaff (normal and arrowed) and some others not?
> > Can I set different settings for each one?
> Well, you can change the appearance for TabStaff.Arpeggio #'<some
> property> and
> Staff.Arpeggio #'<some property> independently, but this could mean
> you'll have to
> write some more shortcuts like the ones defined above for better usability.

I'm not sure if I want some arpeggio to appear in TabStaff. And in case
I prefer using the revert in the layout block instead of changing these
commands.

To sum up, these are the changes needed to always hide arpeggios in
TabStaff.  Probably it's not the best way, but it seems to work.

arpeggioNormal = {
  \revert Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil
  \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
  \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
  \revert Arpeggio #'arpeggio-direction
  \revert Arpeggio #'dash-definition
}
arpeggioBracket = {
  \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
  \override Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-bracket
  \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
}
arpeggioParenthesis = {
  \override Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur
  \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
  \override Arpeggio #'X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width
  \revert Arpeggio #'dash-definition
}
arpeggioParenthesisDashed = {
  \override Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur
  \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
  \override Arpeggio #'X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width
  \override Arpeggio #'dash-definition = #'((0 1 0.4 0.75))
}

Re: some arpeggios still showing up in default TabStaff

Carl Sorensen

On 5/8/11 1:11 PM, "Federico Bruni" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>   \revert Arpeggio #'arpeggio-direction
>   \revert Arpeggio #'dash-definition
> }
> arpeggioBracket = {
>   \revert Arpeggio #'X-extent
>   \override Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-bracket
>   \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
> }
> arpeggioParenthesis = {
>   \override Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur
>   \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
>   \override Arpeggio #'X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width
>   \revert Arpeggio #'dash-definition
> }
> arpeggioParenthesisDashed = {
>   \override Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil = #ly:arpeggio::brew-chord-slur
>   \override TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f
>   \override Arpeggio #'X-extent = #ly:grob::stencil-width
>   \override Arpeggio #'dash-definition = #'((0 1 0.4 0.75))

My preference would be to have arpeggioXXX only apply to Staff.Arpeggio, and
have no TabStaff stuff in these commands at all.

so

arpeggioNormal = {
  \revert Staff.Arpeggio #'stencil
  \revert Staff.Arpeggio #'X-extent
  \revert Staff.Arpeggio #'arpeggio-direction
  \revert Staff.Arpeggio #'dash-definition
}

and so forth.  And then put a note in the docs that the arpeggioXXX commands
do not apply to TabStaff.

Il giorno dom, 08/05/2011 alle 18.11 -0600, Carl Sorensen ha scritto:
> My preference would be to have arpeggioXXX only apply to
> Staff.Arpeggio, and
> have no TabStaff stuff in these commands at all.

Marc suggested the same, but it doesn't work for me: arpeggios still
show up in TabStaff even though I put Staff.Arpeggio.
I'm missing something?

On 5/9/11 2:15 PM, "Federico Bruni" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Il giorno dom, 08/05/2011 alle 18.11 -0600, Carl Sorensen ha scritto:
>> My preference would be to have arpeggioXXX only apply to
>> Staff.Arpeggio, and
>> have no TabStaff stuff in these commands at all.
>>

> Marc suggested the same, but it doesn't work for me: arpeggios still
> show up in TabStaff even though I put Staff.Arpeggio.
> I'm missing something?

Probably a setting in ly/music-funtions-init.ly that should set

Am 09.05.2011 22:33, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> On 5/9/11 2:15 PM, "Federico Bruni"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Il giorno dom, 08/05/2011 alle 18.11 -0600, Carl Sorensen ha scritto:
>>> My preference would be to have arpeggioXXX only apply to
>>> Staff.Arpeggio, and
>>> have no TabStaff stuff in these commands at all.
>>>
>> Marc suggested the same, but it doesn't work for me: arpeggios still
>> show up in TabStaff even though I put Staff.Arpeggio.
>> I'm missing something
> Probably a setting in ly/music-funtions-init.ly that should set
> TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f.

Perhaps I am wrong, but that would affect \tabFullNotation, isn't it?

As mentioned before: I think the whole tabNumbersOnly/TabFullNotation
mechanism feels somewhat "clumsy". I didn't manage to get deeper into
the details yet,
but if it were possible to let tab note heads, ties and slurs work
*without* stems and beams,
we could simply remove the corresponding engravers, and all problems
with spurious
shortened stems, arpeggios would be solved in a quite elegant way, I think.

What do you think?

On 5/10/11 12:10 AM, "Marc Hohl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 09.05.2011 22:33, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

>>> Marc suggested the same, but it doesn't work for me: arpeggios still
>>> show up in TabStaff even though I put Staff.Arpeggio.
>>> I'm missing something
>> Probably a setting in ly/music-funtions-init.ly that should set
>> TabStaff.Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f.
>
> Perhaps I am wrong, but that would affect \tabFullNotation, isn't it?
>
> As mentioned before: I think the whole tabNumbersOnly/TabFullNotation
> mechanism feels somewhat "clumsy". I didn't manage to get deeper into
> the details yet,
> but if it were possible to let tab note heads, ties and slurs work
> *without* stems and beams,
> we could simply remove the corresponding engravers, and all problems
> with spurious
> shortened stems, arpeggios would be solved in a quite elegant way, I think.
>
> What do you think?

I think it sounds wonderful, but I don't think it will be easy to do.

Re: some arpeggios still showing up in default TabStaff

forextradingidol.com
Great post, Thanks for share.
http://www.internetmarketingidol.org
SEO Inverse Internet Marketing who Blogs about Strategies , Tips , Articles as Business Consultants.

Welcome to another sites :

http://www.nathansaputra.org (SEO Services)
http://www.forextradingidol.com (Forex Trading)
http://www.stopsnoringidol.com (Stop Snoring)
http://www.angsport.co.cc

Re: some arpeggios still showing up in default TabStaff

forextradingidol.com
Good article, I wait for the next article, thank you for sharing this article.
SEO Company
Affiliate Marketing Tips , Weight Loss Fast , Online Dating Tips , Forex Trading Idol , Stop Snoring Tips , Internet Marketing Tips