separating music and tablature information

separating music and tablature information

Patrick Schmidt-3
Hi all,

in order to achieve different guitar tablature editions of the same
piece of music I experimented with ghost voices consisting of spacer
rests in combination with tablature information. Unfortunately it
doesn't seem to be possible to use spacer rests in chord constructs
such as <s s s>. In many cases I can use 's' instead and define a
minimum Fret but some chords in higher playing positions contain open
strings such as <a\5 c'\3 b\2 e'\1>. In this case it would be helpful
to be able to use <s\5 s\3 s\2 s\1> in a ghost voice and <a c' b e'>
in the main voice to keep the music and tablature informations in
separate voices.  As a workaround I could use <a\5 c'\3 b\2 e'\1>  in
the ghost voice and <a c' b e'> in combination with \once \override
TabNoteHead #'stencil = ##f in the main voice because otherwise the
string number indications in the ghost voice interfere with the
automatic string calculation in the main voice. But then the ghost
voice also contains some note names and durations which I wanted to
avoid. Is there a more elegant solution to this problem?

Thanks for any hint!
patrick

Re: separating music and tablature information

Marc Hohl
Patrick Schmidt schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> in order to achieve different guitar tablature editions of the same
> piece of music I experimented with ghost voices consisting of spacer
> rests in combination with tablature information. Unfortunately it
> doesn't seem to be possible to use spacer rests in chord constructs
> such as <s s s>. In many cases I can use 's' instead and define a
> minimum Fret but some chords in higher playing positions contain open
> strings such as <a\5 c'\3 b\2 e'\1>. In this case it would be helpful
> to be able to use <s\5 s\3 s\2 s\1> in a ghost voice and <a c' b e'>
> in the main voice to keep the music and tablature informations in
> separate voices.  As a workaround I could use <a\5 c'\3 b\2 e'\1>  in
> the ghost voice and <a c' b e'> in combination with \once \override
> TabNoteHead #'stencil = ##f in the main voice because otherwise the
> string number indications in the ghost voice interfere with the
> automatic string calculation in the main voice. But then the ghost
> voice also contains some note names and durations which I wanted to
> avoid. Is there a more elegant solution to this problem?
To be honest: I don't fully understand your request, sorry.
Why do you need something like  <s\5 s\3 s\2 s\1>?
Can you post a minimal example for clarification?

Re: separating music and tablature information

Hagen B.
Patrick Schmidt-3 wrote
... Unfortunately it
doesn't seem to be possible to use spacer rests in chord constructs
such as <s s s>.....
It is possible to add more then one string identification to a skip rest.

<<
{ 8 }
{ s8\5\4\3 }

The string identification values will be aligned from left to right to the notes of the chord.

Re: separating music and tablature information

Hagen B.
here the html clean version :-)

<<
{ <a e' a>8 }