planned doc edits fretted-strings.itely

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

planned doc edits fretted-strings.itely

Patrick Schmidt-3
Hi Carl, Marc et al.

I have prepared some material to document the new harmonic functions.  
I think it should be placed at the end of "Default tablatures". I'm  
planning to split up the existing paragraph on harmonics and slides  
into two separate paragraphs. The slides-paragraph would contain  
different kinds of slides and chord glissandi which I have not  
finished yet. The existing harmonics/slides-snippet would be replaced.

I created a snippet to demonstrate all three methods of engraving  
open-string harmonics. I also added some sort of a reference for open-
string harmonics as I think it might not be obvious to everybody  
which fret/ratio leads to which harmonic pitch. Finally I'd like to  
illustrate how fretted-string harmonics can be typeset with LilyPond  
as they need a different approach.

Before I prepare a patch I'd like to know whether my snippets are  
appropriate for the docs. Should anything be changed/left out? Is  
anything missing? Should the fretted-string harmonics go into  
"Selected snippets"...
[Of course the three score-markups won't go into the docs.]

Thanks for your help,

patrick

\version "2.13.41"

\paper {
   indent = 0\mm
   ragged-right = ##t
}

\layout { }

openStringHarmonics = {
   \override StringNumber #'add-stem-support = ##t
   \ottava #1
   <d'\4\harmonic>16
   <g'\3\harmonic>16
   <b'\2\harmonic>8
   \harmonicByFret #7 < a\4 d'\3 fis'\2 >4
   \ottava #2
   \harmonicByFret #5 { c'16\3 e'16\2 a'8\1 }
   \harmonicByRatio #2/5 < b'\4 e'\3 gis'\2 >4
}
\markup{"Open-string harmonics"}
\score {
   <<
     \new Staff {
       \new Voice {
         \clef "treble_8"
         \openStringHarmonics
       }
     }
     \new TabStaff {
       \new TabVoice {
         \openStringHarmonics
       }
     }
   >>
}

openStringHarmonics = {
   %first harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #12 e,2\6_\markup{"1st harm."}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/2 e,\6
   %second harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #7 e,\6_\markup{"2nd harm. - - - -"}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/3 e,\6
   \harmonicByFret #19 e,\6
   \harmonicByRatio #2/3 e,\6
   %\harmonicByFret #19 < e,\6 a,\5 d\4 >
   %\harmonicByRatio #2/3 < e,\6 a,\5 d\4 >
   %third harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #5 e,\6_\markup{"3rd harm. - - - -"}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/4 e,\6
   \harmonicByFret #24 e,\6
   \harmonicByRatio #3/4 e,\6
   \break
   %fourth harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #4 e,\6_\markup{"4th harm. - - - - - - - - - - - -  
- -"}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/5 e,\6
   \harmonicByFret #9 e,\6
   \harmonicByRatio #2/5 e,\6
   \harmonicByFret #16 e,\6
   \harmonicByRatio #3/5 e,\6
   %fifth harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #3 e,\6_\markup{"5th harm."}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/6 e,\6
   \break
   %sixth harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #2.7 e,\6_\markup{"6th harm."}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/7 e,\6
   %seventh harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #2.3 e,\6_\markup{"7th harm."}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/8 e,\6
   %eighth harmonic
   \harmonicByFret #2 e,\6_\markup{"8th harm."}
   \harmonicByRatio #1/9 e,\6
}

\markup{"Reference for open-string harmonics"}
\score {
   <<
     \new Staff {
       \new Voice {
         \clef "treble_8"
         \openStringHarmonics
       }
     }
     \new TabStaff {
       \new TabVoice {
         \openStringHarmonics
       }
     }
   >>
}

PH = {
    \textSpannerDown
    \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text =
       \markup {\halign #-0.5 \teeny "PH" }
       \override TextSpanner #'style =
          #'dashed-line
    \override TextSpanner #'dash-period = #0.6
    \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'attach-dir = #1
    \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'text =
       \markup { \draw-line #'(0 . 1) }
    \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'right #'padding = #-0.5
}

harmonics = {
   %artificial harmonics (AH)
   \textLengthOn
   <\parenthesize b b''\harmonic>4_\markup{ \teeny "AH 16" }
   <\parenthesize g g''\harmonic>4_\markup{ \teeny "AH 17" }
   <\parenthesize d' d'''\harmonic>2_\markup{ \teeny "AH 19" }
   %pinched harmonics (PH)
   \PH
   <a'\harmonic>2\startTextSpan
   <g'\harmonic>4
   <e'\harmonic>4\stopTextSpan
   %tapped harmonics (TH)
   <\parenthesize g\4 g'\harmonic>4_\markup{ \teeny "TH 17" }
   <\parenthesize a\4 a'\harmonic>4_\markup{ \teeny "TH 19" }
   <\parenthesize c'\3 c''\harmonic>2_\markup{ \teeny "TH 17" }
   %touch harmonics (TCH)
   a4( <e''\harmonic>2. )_\markup{ \teeny "TCH" }
}

frettedStrings = {
   %artificial harmonics (AH)
   \harmonicByFret #4 b4\3
   \harmonicByFret #5 g4\4
   \harmonicByFret #7 d'2\3
   %pinched harmonics (PH)
   \harmonicByFret #7 a2\4
   \harmonicByFret #5 g4\4
   \harmonicByFret #7 e4\5
   %tapped harmonics (TH)
   \harmonicByFret #5 g4\4
   \harmonicByFret #5 a4\4
   \harmonicByFret #4 c'2\3
   %touch harmonics (TCH)
   a4 \harmonicByFret #9 e'2.\3
}

\markup{"Fretted-string harmonics"}
\score {
   <<
     \new Staff {
       \new Voice {
         \clef "treble_8"
         \harmonics
       }
     }
     \new TabStaff {
       \new TabVoice {
         \frettedStrings
       }
     }
   >>
}






Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: planned doc edits fretted-strings.itely

Carl Sorensen
On 12/5/10 1:09 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Carl, Marc et al.
>
> I have prepared some material to document the new harmonic functions.
> I think it should be placed at the end of "Default tablatures". I'm
> planning to split up the existing paragraph on harmonics and slides
> into two separate paragraphs. The slides-paragraph would contain
> different kinds of slides and chord glissandi which I have not
> finished yet. The existing harmonics/slides-snippet would be replaced.
>
> I created a snippet to demonstrate all three methods of engraving
> open-string harmonics. I also added some sort of a reference for open-
> string harmonics as I think it might not be obvious to everybody
> which fret/ratio leads to which harmonic pitch. Finally I'd like to
> illustrate how fretted-string harmonics can be typeset with LilyPond
> as they need a different approach.
>
> Before I prepare a patch I'd like to know whether my snippets are
> appropriate for the docs. Should anything be changed/left out? Is
> anything missing? Should the fretted-string harmonics go into
> "Selected snippets"...
> [Of course the three score-markups won't go into the docs.]

It's a little hard to give feedback without having the text as well as the
snippets, but I'll do my best.

In my opinion, the body of the chapter should have very short snippets that
show just the point you are trying to make.  The shorter the snippet, the
easier it is to understand.  So you want something like:

Harmonics can be entered:

(simple snippet that shows the use of \harmonic)

Harmonics can be entered by fret:

(simple snippet that shows use of harmonic by fret)

Harmonics can also be entered by ratios:

(simple snippet that shows use of harmonic by ratio).

A more complete snippet that shows lots of usage hints could be added as
part of selected snippets.

The open-strings harmonic reference probably belongs in an appendix, rather
than in the chapter.  The notation reference is intended to be a reference
on using LilyPond to get the notation you desire, rather than a reference on
the notation.  If we can't figure out a place to put it in the docs, then we
can always put it as part of the selected snippets.

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: planned doc edits fretted-strings.itely

Marc Hohl
Am 05.12.2010 23:12, schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> On 12/5/10 1:09 PM, "Patrick Schmidt"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>    
>> Hi Carl, Marc et al.
>>
>> I have prepared some material to document the new harmonic functions.
>> I think it should be placed at the end of "Default tablatures". I'm
>> planning to split up the existing paragraph on harmonics and slides
>> into two separate paragraphs. The slides-paragraph would contain
>> different kinds of slides and chord glissandi which I have not
>> finished yet. The existing harmonics/slides-snippet would be replaced.
>>
>> I created a snippet to demonstrate all three methods of engraving
>> open-string harmonics. I also added some sort of a reference for open-
>> string harmonics as I think it might not be obvious to everybody
>> which fret/ratio leads to which harmonic pitch. Finally I'd like to
>> illustrate how fretted-string harmonics can be typeset with LilyPond
>> as they need a different approach.
>>      
Hi Patrick,

sorry for the delay.

I think that this snippet is great as an explanation, but, as Carl said
earlier,
too detailed for being included as a general explanation, so placing it
in an appendix seems to be the way to go.

Perhaps you can post a patch? I think it would be a lot easier to see how
your changes would look like.

Regards,

Marc



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: planned doc edits fretted-strings.itely

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 07.12.2010 um 20:09 schrieb Marc Hohl:

> Am 05.12.2010 23:12, schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>> On 12/5/10 1:09 PM, "Patrick Schmidt"<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Hi Carl, Marc et al.
>>>
>>> I have prepared some material to document the new harmonic  
>>> functions.
>>> I think it should be placed at the end of "Default tablatures". I'm
>>> planning to split up the existing paragraph on harmonics and slides
>>> into two separate paragraphs. The slides-paragraph would contain
>>> different kinds of slides and chord glissandi which I have not
>>> finished yet. The existing harmonics/slides-snippet would be  
>>> replaced.
>>>
>>> I created a snippet to demonstrate all three methods of engraving
>>> open-string harmonics. I also added some sort of a reference for  
>>> open-
>>> string harmonics as I think it might not be obvious to everybody
>>> which fret/ratio leads to which harmonic pitch. Finally I'd like to
>>> illustrate how fretted-string harmonics can be typeset with LilyPond
>>> as they need a different approach.
>>>
> Hi Patrick,
>
> sorry for the delay.
>
> I think that this snippet is great as an explanation, but, as Carl  
> said earlier,
> too detailed for being included as a general explanation, so  
> placing it
> in an appendix seems to be the way to go.
>
> Perhaps you can post a patch? I think it would be a lot easier to  
> see how
> your changes would look like.
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc
>
>
>
Hi Carl & Marc,

thanks for your feedback. I will post a patch ASAP but probably not  
before Thursday or Friday. I will create three tiny snippets, one for  
\harmonic, one for \harmonicByFret and one for \harmonicByRatio even  
though the text and the snippets will be a bit repetitive, this way.  
My reference for open-string harmonics was actually meant to be a  
reference on using LilyPond to get the notation one desires and not a  
mere reference on notation. I'm sure a lot of guitarists would  
neither know the string ratio of a certain fret nor the resulting  
harmonic pitch by heart. I was just not too sure about where to place  
the material. I also think that the open-string harmonic reference  
belongs into an appendix. The fretted-string harmonics could be part  
of the selected snippets and the three tiny snippets will be part of  
the main text. I was just concerned that some of the examples contain  
an override and I wanted to avoid to post a patch and then have to  
rework both the text and the snippets...

Thank you both for the great new tablature features!

patrick