palm mute vs. pinched harmonics

Patrick Schmidt-3
Hi Marc,

first of all: thanks for all your brilliant work on tablature functions!

As I'm currently engaged in documenting your functions I know it's a bit late to start a discussion on one of them. I just wanted to mention that I have never come across a classical or pop/rock score using triangled note heads for palm muting. The (many) guitar editions I own use the abbreviation P. M. and an extender line (e.g.: P. M. ---------¬) for palm muting. A triangled note head is quite often used to illustrate pinched harmonics (see files attached). From my point of view something like \pinchedHarmonics instead of \palmMute would be more appropriate for triangled note heads. Many guitar magazines print the fret numbers of pinched harmonics in triangles in tablature.

What do you and the others think of this?

Cheers,
patrick

palmMute.png (43K) Download Attachment
pinchedHarmonics.png (39K) Download Attachment

Re: palm mute vs. pinched harmonics

Marc Hohl
Patrick Schmidt schrieb:
> Hi Marc,
>
> first of all: thanks for all your brilliant work on tablature functions!
>
> As I'm currently engaged in documenting your functions I know it's a bit late to start a discussion on one of them. I just wanted to mention that I have never come across a classical or pop/rock score using triangled note heads for palm muting. The (many) guitar editions I own use the abbreviation P. M. and an extender line (e.g.: P. M. ---------¬) for palm muting. A triangled note head is quite often used to illustrate pinched harmonics (see files attached). From my point of view something like \pinchedHarmonics instead of \palmMute would be more appropriate for triangled note heads. Many guitar magazines print the fret numbers of pinched harmonics in triangles in tablature.

I know the use of p.m. and the extender line, and this is already
supported by lilypond via text spanners.

In at least one guitar magazine I found the triagle-shaped note heads
for palm mute
which seems to be very convenient if the guitar line switches very often
from palm mute to open
and back again (think of Metallica or the whole bunch of bands tuning
their axes down to the limit -
here the permanent use of p.m. w/extender lines isn't really much fun,
neither to read nor to code in lilypond).

Personally, I didn't see (at least I can't remember) the triangle for
pinched harmonics - but if there is a
majority for this style of writing, we surely should adapt lilypond's
behavior in this case.

David, do you have informations for us about palm mute vs. pinched
harmonics?

Marc

> What do you and the others think of this?
>
> Cheers,
> patrick

Re: palm mute vs. pinched harmonics

Patrick Schmidt-3

> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > first of all: thanks for all your brilliant work on tablature functions!
> >
> > As I'm currently engaged in documenting your functions I know it's a bit
> late to start a discussion on one of them. I just wanted to mention that I
> have never come across a classical or pop/rock score using triangled note
> heads for palm muting. The (many) guitar editions I own use the
> abbreviation P. M. and an extender line (e.g.: P. M. ---------¬) for palm muting. A
> triangled note head is quite often used to illustrate pinched harmonics (see
> files attached). From my point of view something like \pinchedHarmonics
> instead of \palmMute would be more appropriate for triangled note heads. Many
> guitar magazines print the fret numbers of pinched harmonics in triangles
> in tablature.
> >
> I know the use of p.m. and the extender line, and this is already
> supported by lilypond via text spanners.
True.

> In at least one guitar magazine I found the triagle-shaped note heads
> for palm mute
> which seems to be very convenient if the guitar line switches very often
> from palm mute to open
> and back again (think of Metallica or the whole bunch of bands tuning
> their axes down to the limit -
> here the permanent use of p.m. w/extender lines isn't really much fun,
> neither to read nor to code in lilypond).
>
> Personally, I didn't see (at least I can't remember) the triangle for
> pinched harmonics - but if there is a
> majority for this style of writing, we surely should adapt lilypond's
> behavior in this case.
I did a quick (non-representative) empirical study ;-) and I must admit that actually only one guitar magazine (Total Guitar) uses a triangle note head for pinched harmonics but the majority of publishing companies seems to use P.M. for palm muting. Which magazine/edition uses the triangle note head for palm muted notes?

It's only a minor issue anyway. But maybe I should also create a snippet with P.M. and an extender line?!

thanks again
patrick

palmMute-vs-pinchedHarmonics.png (52K) Download Attachment

Patrick Schmidt schrieb:

> [...]
> I did a quick (non-representative) empirical study ;-) and I must admit that actually only one guitar magazine (Total Guitar) uses a triangle note head for pinched harmonics but the majority of publishing companies seems to use P.M. for palm muting. Which magazine/edition uses the triangle note head for palm muted notes?

In the newer issues of Gitarre&Bass, they use often the triangle note
head for palm mute, but if I recall it
right, this depends on the author and the style of music - the jazz and
traditional rock transcriptions use
the p.m., whereas actual stuff from the heavy fraction uses the triangle.

I have to admit that this is kind of a personal preference, but anyway
... if one doesn't want to use it,
he needn't to.
> It's only a minor issue anyway. But maybe I should also create a snippet with P.M. and an extender line?!

For guitaristis it surely will be valuable to have such a snippet so it
would be great if you can create one.

Thanks for your efforts!

Re: palm mute vs. pinched harmonics

Patrick Schmidt-3

> Patrick Schmidt schrieb:
> >
> > [...]
> > I did a quick (non-representative) empirical study ;-) and I must admit
> that actually only one guitar magazine (Total Guitar) uses a triangle note
> head for pinched harmonics but the majority of publishing companies seems
> to use P.M. for palm muting. Which magazine/edition uses the triangle note
> head for palm muted notes?
> >
> In the newer issues of Gitarre&Bass, they use often the triangle note
> head for palm mute, but if I recall it
> right, this depends on the author and the style of music - the jazz and
> traditional rock transcriptions use
> the p.m., whereas actual stuff from the heavy fraction uses the triangle.
>
> I have to admit that this is kind of a personal preference, but anyway
> ... if one doesn't want to use it,
> he needn't to.
I haven't had a look at Gitarre&Bass for quite a while … and I'm certainly not opposed to personal preferences.
My only concern is that the command name "\palmMute" gives the impression that triangle note heads are in common use to illustrate palm muted notes. Obviously various symbols are being used for this purpose. I'd prefer a neutral name for this command (e.g. \triangleNoteHead) so that it can be used for different purposes. The symbol should also be added to chapter B.7 Note head styles.

> > It's only a minor issue anyway. But maybe I should also create a snippet
> with P.M. and an extender line?!
> >
> For guitaristis it surely will be valuable to have such a snippet so it
> would be great if you can create one.
work in progress!