\hideNotes in tablature

Patrick Schmidt-3
Hi all,

when \hideNotes is used in tablature either a small vertical line or
a dot is typeset in addition to the tab notehead. Here is a tiny
example:

\version "2.13.44"

bug =  {
   \hideNotes
   g4\3
   \unHideNotes
   c'4\3
}

\new TabStaff  { \bug }

<<
   \new Staff { \bug }
   \new TabStaff { \bug }

I didn't notice this behavior in 2.13.42, so maybe it's a regression?!

HTH,

patrick

dot.png (4K) Download Attachment
line.png (8K) Download Attachment

Re: \hideNotes in tablature

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 19.12.2010 um 14:28 schrieb Patrick Schmidt:

> Hi all,
>
> when \hideNotes is used in tablature either a small vertical line
> or a dot is typeset in addition to the tab notehead. Here is a tiny
> example:
>
> \version "2.13.44"
>
> bug =  {
>   \hideNotes
>   g4\3
>   \unHideNotes
>   c'4\3
> }
>
> \new TabStaff  { \bug }
>
> <<
>   \new Staff { \bug }
>   \new TabStaff { \bug }
> >>

> I didn't notice this behavior in 2.13.42, so maybe it's a regression?!
No, I checked it and it also occurs in 2.13.42 and 2.13.41.

> HTH,
>
> patrick
>
> <dot.png>
> <line.png>

Re: \hideNotes in tablature

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno dom, 19/12/2010 alle 14.28 +0100, Patrick Schmidt ha scritto:
> I didn't notice this behavior in 2.13.42, so maybe it's a regression?!

I'm using 2.13.42 and I get the same output.
I never noticed such behaviour because when I want to hide notes on
Staff I hide notes on TabStaff as well.

Cheers,
Federico

Re: \hideNotes in tablature

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 19.12.2010 um 14:44 schrieb Federico Bruni:

> Il giorno dom, 19/12/2010 alle 14.28 +0100, Patrick Schmidt ha
> scritto:
>> I didn't notice this behavior in 2.13.42, so maybe it's a
>> regression?!
>
> I'm using 2.13.42 and I get the same output.
> I never noticed such behaviour because when I want to hide notes on
> Staff I hide notes on TabStaff as well.
Hm, then you must use overrides?! This function has not been
implemented in \hideNotes, yet. Look at my examples: the notes are
hidden in Staff but *not* in TabStaff! I'm just preparing a patch...

> Cheers,
> Federico

Re: \hideNotes in tablature

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno dom, 19/12/2010 alle 14.57 +0100, Patrick Schmidt ha scritto:
> > I never noticed such behaviour because when I want to hide notes on
> > Staff I hide notes on TabStaff as well.
> Hm, then you must use overrides?! This function has not been
> implemented in \hideNotes, yet. Look at my examples: the notes are
> hidden in Staff but *not* in TabStaff! I'm just preparing a patch...

Yes, so far I've used this command:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=633

which came out of this discussion:
http://lilypond-s-support-for-tablatures.3383434.n2.nabble.com/slides-td3533701.html

You mean you are working on a solution which could be built in LilyPond?
That would be great!

Cheers,
Federico

Re: \hideNotes in tablature

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 19.12.2010 um 15:22 schrieb Federico Bruni:

> Il giorno dom, 19/12/2010 alle 14.57 +0100, Patrick Schmidt ha
> scritto:
>>> I never noticed such behaviour because when I want to hide notes on
>>> Staff I hide notes on TabStaff as well.
>> Hm, then you must use overrides?! This function has not been
>> implemented in \hideNotes, yet. Look at my examples: the notes are
>> hidden in Staff but *not* in TabStaff! I'm just preparing a patch...
>
> Yes, so far I've used this command:
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=633
>
> which came out of this discussion:
> http://lilypond-s-support-for-tablatures.3383434.n2.nabble.com/
> slides-td3533701.html
Ah, OK, now I understand. I hadn't come across your snippet. It's
nice, thanks!

> You mean you are working on a solution which could be built in
> LilyPond?
> That would be great!
Well, Carl told me what needs to be changed in the definition of
\hideNotes in order to also hide fret numbers in tablature. So in
future it won't be necessary to define an extra  command like
\hideFretNumber...

> Cheers,
> Federico

Re: \hideNotes in tablature

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno dom, 19/12/2010 alle 15.36 +0100, Patrick Schmidt ha scritto:
> Well, Carl told me what needs to be changed in the definition of
> \hideNotes in order to also hide fret numbers in tablature. So in
> future it won't be necessary to define an extra  command like
> \hideFretNumber...

Great!
Please let us know when you manage to implement it.