arpeggio not displayed on TabStaff on 2.13.3

arpeggio not displayed on TabStaff on 2.13.3

Federico Bruni
I've realized right now that the symbol of arpeggio is not displayed
on the TabStaff (just on the normal Staff) if I use lilypond 2.13.3.
If I use 2.12.1, everything works fine.

I guess it's an issue with tablature.ly, because if I comment it out
arpeggio are displayed on TabStaff.

I know Marc is working on 2.13.4, which won't require tablature.ly..
so he probably won't be happy about working on a file which is doomed
to be quit.

Maybe I'll go back to 2.12.1 and hope the release of 2.13.4 (with
built-in new tablature support) will happen very soon.

Federico

Re: arpeggio not displayed on TabStaff on 2.13.3

Marc Hohl
Federico Bruni schrieb:

> I've realized right now that the symbol of arpeggio is not displayed
> on the TabStaff (just on the normal Staff) if I use lilypond 2.13.3.
> If I use 2.12.1, everything works fine.
>
> I guess it's an issue with tablature.ly, because if I comment it out
> arpeggio are displayed on TabStaff.
>
> I know Marc is working on 2.13.4, which won't require tablature.ly..
> so he probably won't be happy about working on a file which is doomed
> to be quit.
>
> Maybe I'll go back to 2.12.1 and hope the release of 2.13.4 (with
> built-in new tablature support) will happen very soon.
I removed the arpeggio from the TabStaff because most people wanted fret
numbers only in the TabStaff.
Please take a closer look at tablature.ly:  at the end, you'll find a
\layout { ... } block which covers all the
settings for the tablature. Within this block, you see the fragment

% no arpeggios
\override Arpeggio #'stencil = ##f

so I override the stencil for arpeggios with ##f (this is the scheme
value for the boolean 'false')
with the result that arpeggios don't appear. I you want to change my
settings, you have to
\revert Arpeggio #'stencil to his former (predefined) setting.

So, all you have to do is creating a \layout block in your file  with

\layout {
  \context {
     \TabStaff
     \revert Arpeggio #'stencil
  }
}

or - if you want all of your files looking like like this - you put
these lines in a separate file
called mytabsettings.ly and \include it in your files /after/
tablature.ly because otherwise
tablature.ly will overwrite your settings.

If you have other wishes for your layout, I recommend that you examine
the \layout settings
at the end of tablature.ly - I tried to comment nearly every feature, so
personal layout changes
won't be too difficult.

Marc

> Federico

Re: arpeggio not displayed on TabStaff on 2.13.3

Federico Bruni
Thanks Mark for your detailed reply, everything works fine now.

Marc Hohl wrote:

> I removed the arpeggio from the TabStaff because most people wanted fret
> numbers only in the TabStaff.

That's quite unusual: at least in the books I know, arpeggio is always
displayed in TabStaff..
Fortunately, LilyPond is flexible and everybody can set the preferred
behaviour.

Personally, anyway, I like having in TabStaff what I need to know to
actually play the piece (and an arpeggio sign is useful and necessary).
And I like having just in the Staff all that is related to the
"control of sound" (the real duration of a note, the presence of a
tied note,..) and minor things (fingerings,..).

I want just to express (briefly) my point of view, as I was not
present when all of you discussed these issues.

[...]
> or - if you want all of your files looking like like this - you put
> these lines in a separate file
> called mytabsettings.ly and \include it in your files /after/
> tablature.ly because otherwise
> tablature.ly will overwrite your settings.

Yes, that is very useful. I've created it right now..
Here's the stuff I want to change (I post it in case someone may be
interested..):
* remove string number from Staff (there is the tab, so this is very
redundant)
* add Arpeggio to TabStaff
* remove parentheses around numbers from ties after a line break and
from repeatTie (this requires also some changes in tablature.ly)

\layout {
  \context {
     \TabStaff
     \revert Arpeggio #'stencil
  }

  \context {
    \TabVoice
    \override RepeatTie #'after-line-breaking = #repeat-tie::erase-tab
  }

  \context {
     \Staff
     \override StringNumber #'transparent = ##t
  }

}

Federico Bruni schrieb:
> [...]
> I want just to express (briefly) my point of view, as I was not
> present when all of you discussed these issues.
>
> [...]
> Here's the stuff I want to change (I post it in case someone may be
> interested..):
> * remove string number from Staff (there is the tab, so this is very
> redundant)
Ok, agreed.
> * add Arpeggio to TabStaff
David, do you know more? What's the "official" way of writing arpeggios?
> * remove parentheses around numbers from ties after a line break and
> from repeatTie (this requires also some changes in tablature.ly)
Perhaps there will be an option so that you can switch between
parenthesized fret
numbers and no numbers at all - I'll think about it.

I think we should add
* make slurs visible again for hammer on and pull off, but their
appearance should be refined.
Or are there situations where a slur should *not* be indicated in a
TabStaff?

Generally, such changes are not too difficult to manage, but *we* as the
tablature users should find
a consensus, so if there are more proposals, wishes etc., please let me
know.

Marc

Marc Hohl wrote:
> Federico Bruni schrieb:
>> [...]
>> * remove parentheses around numbers from ties after a line break and
>> from repeatTie (this requires also some changes in tablature.ly)
> Perhaps there will be an option so that you can switch between
> parenthesized fret
> numbers and no numbers at all - I'll think about it.

that would be great
if you add this option, I wouldn't need to edit config files in 2.13.4

> I think we should add
> * make slurs visible again for hammer on and pull off, but their
> appearance should be refined.
> Or are there situations where a slur should *not* be indicated in a
> TabStaff?

No, as far as I know..

I mean, we are using slurs to produce hammeron, pulloff and bendings.
That's it, right?
All of them should always be indicated in a TabStaff..