TAB-guide

Patrick Schmidt-3
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 20:13:13 +0100
> Von: Marc Hohl <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email], Patrick Schmidt <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [tablatures] Big improvement

> Am 07.12.2010 19:06, schrieb Patrick Horgan:
> > On 12/07/2010 02:27 AM, Patrick Schmidt wrote:
> >> I have a test file. I'm updating it right now. I could send it to you
> >> this evening.
> Hi Patricks ;-)
>
> Can't you post this file to this list? IMHO, we can refer to it more
> easily then - in case
> someone else is asking questions about the new tablature features...
>
> Regards,
>
> Marc
> > Thank you Patrick.  You can always count on a Patrick;)
> >
> > Patrick

Hi Patrick,

this name sounds familiar to me! ;-)

Here is the promised file. I created it a while ago to find out how special (electric) guitar techniques can be typeset with LilyPond. The file is not complete so it actually does not exercise all of the tablature parts of LilyPond (sorry for that). It doesn't contain e.g. Marc's work on bendings but it does cover the new harmonics functions and a lot of playing techniques. BTW I found some small issues concerning tablature. I added some explanations and comments. In order to compile the file you need 2.13.41 in combination with http://codereview.appspot.com/2723043/ .

HTH,

patrick
--
GMX DSL Doppel-Flat ab 19,99 &euro;/mtl.! Jetzt auch mit

TAB-Guide.ly (22K) Download Attachment

Re: TAB-guide

Marc Hohl
Am 08.12.2010 00:01, schrieb Patrick Schmidt:
> [...]
> Hi Patrick,
>
> this name sounds familiar to me! ;-)
>
> Here is the promised file. I created it a while ago to find out how special (electric) guitar techniques can be typeset with LilyPond. The file is not complete so it actually does not exercise all of the tablature parts of LilyPond (sorry for that). It doesn't contain e.g. Marc's work on bendings but it does cover the new harmonics functions and a lot of playing techniques. BTW I found some small issues concerning tablature.
At a quick glance, your file looks very promising - I think we can refer
to it for future work. I shows
what is possible and what should be improved/included.

By the way, chord repetition via q is possible when you say
\tabChordRepetition at the beginning
of your file. Then the string numbers are stored and used for the
repeated chords as well.

>   I added some explanations and comments. In order to compile the file you need 2.13.41 in combination with http://codereview.appspot.com/2723043/ .

IMHO, if someone can compile lilypond, he has a git repository
installed, so after a 'git pull; make all'
he has the latest version which provides the needed stuff.

Thanks a lot for your work!

Re: TAB-guide

Am 08.12.2010 00:01, schrieb Patrick Schmidt:
> [...]
> Here is the promised file.
Hi Patrick,

I had a look at it now and changed so parts, see the blue lines and
comments marḱed with %++ .
I think this file is a great base to discuss and improve. Perhaps you
should upload it to rietveld?
So we can comment on it more easily without sending the whole file again
and again...

Are the circled/triangled/squared fret numbers the official way for
showing tappings?
I have seen stuff like this, but it looked mostly very crude, and I
think there will be spacing
problems when tapping two adjacent strings simultaneously, but with
smaller numbers, this
could be solved.

You mention a tab key at the end of your file. Do you mean something like

e--
b--
g--
D--
A--
E--

at the beginning of each tablature line?

I thought about it, and IMHO the definition of the string tunings won't
allow for this in case of
eb/d#, so a more elegant way would be to define the string tunings via
pitches, not numbers relative to c.
For example

\set stringTunings = '(e,, a,, d, g, b, e)

would be easier from a user's point of view, and the piches could be
easily used for a tab key.

>   I created it a while ago to find out how special (electric) guitar techniques can be typeset with LilyPond. The file is not complete so it actually does not exercise all of the tablature parts of LilyPond (sorry for that). It doesn't contain e.g. Marc's work on bendings but it does cover the new harmonics functions and a lot of playing techniques. BTW I found some small issues concerning tablature. I added some explanations and comments. In order to compile the file you need 2.13.41 in combination with http://codereview.appspot.com/2723043/ .
>
> HTH,
>
> patrick

Re: TAB-guide

Marc Hohl
Am 09.12.2010 09:53, schrieb Marc Hohl:
> Am 08.12.2010 00:01, schrieb Patrick Schmidt:
>> [...]
>> Here is the promised file.
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I had a look at it now and changed so parts, see the blue lines and
> comments marḱed with %++ .

Arrgh - I clicked on "send", not "attachment", and because I didn't use
the word "attached", even thunderbird
didn't warn me - what he does now :-)

So here comes the file.

Marc

TAB-Guide-corrected.ly (22K) Download Attachment

Re: TAB-guide

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 09.12.2010 um 09:53 schrieb Marc Hohl:

> Am 08.12.2010 00:01, schrieb Patrick Schmidt:
>> [...]
>> Here is the promised file.
> Hi Patrick,
>
> I had a look at it now and changed so parts, see the blue lines and
> comments marḱed with %++ .
> I think this file is a great base to discuss and improve. Perhaps
> you should upload it to rietveld?
> So we can comment on it more easily without sending the whole file
> again and again...
Thanks for your comments and corrections! Some new features obviously
had escaped my notice. @Marc&Carl: Thanks very much for q and
\chordGlissando. The latter should definitely be included in the next
LP version. It makes life a lot easier. I could document this feature
when I rework the "Slides".

If no one objects I will upload the TAB-guide to rietveld???!!!

> Are the circled/triangled/squared fret numbers the official way for
> showing tappings?
> I have seen stuff like this, but it looked mostly very crude, and I
> think there will be spacing
> problems when tapping two adjacent strings simultaneously, but with
> smaller numbers, this
> could be solved.
As far as I can see there is no "official" way to illustrate tappings.
Total guitar (magazine) uses squares for left hand tappings, circles
for right hand tappings (and triangles for pinched harmonics)
Totally Guitar (book) also uses circles for right hand tappings and
text markups in combination with inverted upward archs for left hand
tappings
Most of the other editions I own use a "T" for right hand tapping and
"H" or "HO" for left hand tapping which might be preferable as left
hand tapping doesn't really need an own symbol as it is just a simple
hammer-on/pull-off. As some editions use circles in tablature to
indicate long note values (which looks a bit strange, indeed) I'd
agree that circles and squares are not really needed for tapping.
I'll adjust the snippets in TAB-guide.ly.

> You mention a tab key at the end of your file. Do you mean
> something like
>
> e--
> b--
> g--
> D--
> A--
> E--
>
> at the beginning of each tablature line?
Basically yes, but I think one tab key at the beginning of a piece
should suffice. I attached two samples (see also http://
someone claimed to have found a solution/tweak? for a tab key but
IIRC he didn't share it with the list.)

> I thought about it, and IMHO the definition of the string tunings
> won't allow for this in case of
> eb/d#, so a more elegant way would be to define the string tunings
> via pitches, not numbers relative to c.
> For example
>
> \set stringTunings = '(e,, a,, d, g, b, e)
>
> would be easier from a user's point of view, and the piches could
> be easily used for a tab key.
It certainly would. That's a great idea! It would also be very
helpful if it were possible to automatically print the right tab key
for each string tuning by entering e.g. \tabKey.

Thanks for all your work!

patrick

TAB-key.png (6K) Download Attachment
favored-tab-key.png (199K) Download Attachment