Re: ukulele fretboards

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: ukulele fretboards

Matt C
Greetings.  As a followup to my earlier post, I've made some progress,
and now have different questions!

I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/

To do this, I've added this command to output-lib.scm:

  (define-public ukulele-tuning '(9 4 0 8))

The output looks good to me, but I keep getting this error message
at runtime (with version 2.12.2):

  warning: No string for pitch #<Pitch c' > (given frets ())

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Matt

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:57:44AM -0500, Matt Corks wrote:

>First of all, I'm new to this project, so let me know if I should take
>this to another of the Lilypond mailing lists.
>
>I'd like to contribute fretboard diagrams for the soprano ukulele with
>C tuning, mostly because I'd like to have these for my own purposes.
>I see this has been discussed once before[1] but I didn't find any
>fretboard diagrams in the git repository (although perhaps I'm looking
>in the wrong place).
>
>However, I need some help.  I see how to include them manually with a
>\markup command, as shown in the documentation, but can't figure out
>how to use the \storePredefinedDiagram function.  I've tried writing
>these but keep getting the error "programming error: Object is not a
>markup."  Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong?
>
>Here's my list of chords:
>
>  \version "2.12.2"
>  \storePredefinedDiagram \chordmode {a}
>                          #guitar-tuning
>                          #"f:2;w:4;4-2-2;3-1-1;2-o;1-o;"
>  \storePredefinedDiagram \chordmode {a:m}
>                          #guitar-tuning
>                          #"f:1;w:4;4-2-2;3-o;2-o;1-o;"
>
>And here's sample sheet music:
>
>  \version "2.12.2"
>  chordA = \markup \fret-diagram #"f:2;w:4;4-2-2;3-1-1;2-o;1-o;"
>  chordAm = \markup \fret-diagram #"f:2;w:4;4-2-2;3-o;2-o;1-o;"
>  \include "predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly"
>  <<
>    \context ChordNames {
>       \chordmode {
>         a1
>         a1:m
>       }
>    }
>    \context FretBoards {
>       \chordmode {
>         a1
>         a1:m
>       }
>    }
>    \context Staff {
>      a'1 %^ \chordA
>      a'1 %^ \chordAm
>    }
>  >>
>
>One obvious mistake is the use of guitar-tunings, but is that what's
>causing the problem?
>
>On that note, I'd like to suggest that ukulele tunings be added to
>output-lib.scm.  I couldn't figure out what notation was used to
>define guitar-tuning, but here are proposed names for the most common
>tunings, plus their notes[2]:
>
>  ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
>  ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
>  ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
>  ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'
>
>And while I'm at it, I propose that the documentation should
>standardize on the spelling "ukulele", and not use the British variant
>"ukelele", on the grounds that we should do as is done in Hawaii.
>Currently, the documentation mixes the two.  But perhaps that's a
>matter for another mailing list.
>
>I'm glad to finally have something to contribute to this wonderful
>project!
>
> -- Matt
>
>[1] http://old.nabble.com/ukelele-%28C-tuning%29-fretboards-td20874599.html
>[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukulele#Types_and_tunings

--
[hidden email] | http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/
"Recall that whatever lofty things you might accomplish today, you will do
them only because you first ate something that grew out of dirt."
 -- Barbara Kingsolver


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen



On 11/23/09 2:08 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings.  As a followup to my earlier post, I've made some progress,
> and now have different questions!
>
> I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
> as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/
>
> To do this, I've added this command to output-lib.scm:
>
>   (define-public ukulele-tuning '(9 4 0 8))
>
> The output looks good to me, but I keep getting this error message
> at runtime (with version 2.12.2):
>
>   warning: No string for pitch #<Pitch c' > (given frets ())
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

There is probably something going wrong with octaves, but I haven't been
able to get the time to check it out yet.

I'll try to get to it tonight; if not tonight, it may be Wednesday or
Thursday.

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen
In reply to this post by Matt C



On 11/23/09 2:08 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings.  As a followup to my earlier post, I've made some progress,
> and now have different questions!
>
> I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
> as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/
>
> To do this, I've added this command to output-lib.scm:
>
>   (define-public ukulele-tuning '(9 4 0 8))

An easier way to do this is to just add it to the top of
predefined-ukelele-fretboards.ly, in this fashion:

 #(define-public ukulele-tuning '(9 4 0 8))
>
> The output looks good to me, but I keep getting this error message
> at runtime (with version 2.12.2):
>
>   warning: No string for pitch #<Pitch c' > (given frets ())
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Yes and no.  If you look at the chord notes that show up on your music,
you'll see that the c chords are an octave lower than the a and b chords
(because octaves are defined to *start* with c).  This means that the notes
of those chords are too low for the ukulele to play; hence the warning
message.

However, there appears to be a bug; the chords are getting properly looked
up so the message shouldn't be printed.  I'll try to resolve that.

In the meantime,

\transpose a c' \myChords

instead of

\transpose a c \myChords

will get the chords within the range of the ukulele and avoid the warning
message.

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen



On 11/23/09 9:23 PM, "Carl Sorensen" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> On 11/23/09 2:08 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Greetings.  As a followup to my earlier post, I've made some progress,
>> and now have different questions!
>>
>> I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
>> as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/
>>
>> To do this, I've added this command to output-lib.scm:
>>
>>   (define-public ukulele-tuning '(9 4 0 8))
>
> An easier way to do this is to just add it to the top of
> predefined-ukelele-fretboards.ly, in this fashion:
>
>  #(define-public ukulele-tuning '(9 4 0 8))
>>
>> The output looks good to me, but I keep getting this error message
>> at runtime (with version 2.12.2):
>>
>>   warning: No string for pitch #<Pitch c' > (given frets ())
>>
>> Am I doing something wrong?
>
> Yes and no.  If you look at the chord notes that show up on your music,
> you'll see that the c chords are an octave lower than the a and b chords
> (because octaves are defined to *start* with c).  This means that the notes
> of those chords are too low for the ukulele to play; hence the warning
> message.
>
> However, there appears to be a bug; the chords are getting properly looked
> up so the message shouldn't be printed.  I'll try to resolve that.

This bug has been fixed in git.

You can download a new copy of scm/translation-functions.scm right now an
use it with 2.12, I believe.

You can also get 2.13.8, and download the latest copy of
scm/translation-functions.scm.

Or you can just use the workaround I mentioned earlier to avoid the warning
messages.

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Valentin Villenave
Administrator
In reply to this post by Carl Sorensen
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 11/23/09 2:08 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
>> as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/

Hi,

by the way: you might want to share your ukulele presets on the
LilyPond Snippet Repository:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/html/contributing.html

Cheers,
Valentin


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen



On 11/24/09 5:16 AM, "Valentin Villenave" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/23/09 2:08 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
>>> as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/
>
> Hi,
>
> by the way: you might want to share your ukulele presets on the
> LilyPond Snippet Repository:
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/html/contributing.html
>

Actually, once they get completed, they should be added to the distribution
and documentation.

I'll be happy to make that happen.

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Matt C
In reply to this post by Carl Sorensen
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:05:03PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>This bug has been fixed in git.

That was fast!  Thanks, Carl.

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 01:16:55PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 11/23/09 2:08 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
>>> as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/
>
>Hi,
>
>by the way: you might want to share your ukulele presets on the
>LilyPond Snippet Repository:
>http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/html/contributing.html

Yep, I was just waiting until I'd finished entering all the chords.
That's now complete: http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=649

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 07:58:19AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>Actually, once they get completed, they should be added to the
>distribution and documentation.
>
>I'll be happy to make that happen.

That was going to be my next question.  I believe I've entered all the
necessary chords now (I left out things like minor 9th chords, since
there are a few variations out there for these, and besides they're not
in the set of predefined guitar fretboards).  The complete list is now
on LSR and my personal website (URL above).

As I mentioned before, would it also be possible to get the set of
standard ukulele tunings added?  Again, these are:

  ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
  ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
  ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
  ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'

And if the documentation could standardize on "ukulele" instead of a
mix of that spelling and "ukelele", well, that would be even better :)

Thanks for all your help.  I've managed to transcribe a few songs using
these fretboards, now I just need to learn to play them!

 -- matt

--
[hidden email] | http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/
"Recall that whatever lofty things you might accomplish today, you will do
them only because you first ate something that grew out of dirt."
 -- Barbara Kingsolver


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen



On 11/24/09 8:19 AM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 10:05:03PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> This bug has been fixed in git.
>
> That was fast!  Thanks, Carl.
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 01:16:55PM +0100, Valentin Villenave wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:23 AM, Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 11/23/09 2:08 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>> I've successfully defined fretboard diagrams for some ukulele chords,
>>>> as seen here: http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/lilypond/
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> by the way: you might want to share your ukulele presets on the
>> LilyPond Snippet Repository:
>> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/html/contributing.html
>
> Yep, I was just waiting until I'd finished entering all the chords.
> That's now complete: http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1=649
> <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=649>
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 07:58:19AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> Actually, once they get completed, they should be added to the
>> distribution and documentation.
>>
>> I'll be happy to make that happen.
>
> That was going to be my next question.  I believe I've entered all the
> necessary chords now (I left out things like minor 9th chords, since
> there are a few variations out there for these, and besides they're not
> in the set of predefined guitar fretboards).  The complete list is now
> on LSR and my personal website (URL above).

We also need a blurb to go in the documentation somewhere (probably in the
fret diagrams section) that mentions the presence of
predefined-ukulele-fretboards.

>
> As I mentioned before, would it also be possible to get the set of
> standard ukulele tunings added?  Again, these are:
>
>   ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
>   ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
>   ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
>   ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'

Please convert these to the proper scheme commands, and I'll add them to
output-lib.  As a temporary workaround, you could add them at the top of
predefined-ukulele-fretboards.

>
> And if the documentation could standardize on "ukulele" instead of a
> mix of that spelling and "ukelele", well, that would be even better :)

I hope we can fix that.

>
> Thanks for all your help.  I've managed to transcribe a few songs using
> these fretboards, now I just need to learn to play them!
>

You're welcome!

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Matt C
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:24:45AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>We also need a blurb to go in the documentation somewhere (probably in
>the fret diagrams section) that mentions the presence of
>predefined-ukulele-fretboards.

Okay, as a starting point, I've added some proposed documentation
changes for sections 2.4.1 and B.3 to
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=649

I also realized I had only defined chords for 12 keys, not 17 (ais but
not bes, etc), so I've fixed that now on the version in LSR.

While I'm at it, the predefined-guitar-ninth-fretboards.ly file is not
mentioned very clearly in the documentation. Is there a reason these
haven't been added to predefined-guitar-fretboard.ly, or at least
mentioned in B.3?

>> As I mentioned before, would it also be possible to get the set of
>> standard ukulele tunings added?  Again, these are:
>>
>>   ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
>>   ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
>>   ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
>>   ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'
>
>Please convert these to the proper scheme commands, and I'll add them
>to output-lib.  As a temporary workaround, you could add them at the
>top of predefined-ukulele-fretboards.

Right, I did add that ukulele-tuning to predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
I had avoided the others just because I thought I might make a mistake
and wasn't sure how to easily proofread these.  Here you go, but
someone ought to double check these numbers (for example, I think one
number was wrong in the last version I sent to this list):

  ; soprano ukulele standard tuning, a' e' c' g'
  (define-public ukulele-tuning '(9 4 0 7))
  ; soprano ukulele d tuning, b' fis' d' a'
  (define-public ukulele-d-tuning '(11 6 2 9))
  ; tenor ukulele tuning, g c' e' a'
  (define-public ukulele-tenor-tuning '(-5 0 4 9))
  ; baritone ukulele tuning, d g b e'
  (define-public ukulele-baritone-tuning '(-10 -5 -1 4))

Let me know if there's anything else I should do before these will be
ready to be committed.

Cheers,
Matt

--
[hidden email] | http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/
"Recall that whatever lofty things you might accomplish today, you will do
them only because you first ate something that grew out of dirt."
 -- Barbara Kingsolver


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen
Thanks, Matt.


On 11/24/09 12:17 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:24:45AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> We also need a blurb to go in the documentation somewhere (probably in
>> the fret diagrams section) that mentions the presence of
>> predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
>
> Okay, as a starting point, I've added some proposed documentation
> changes for sections 2.4.1 and B.3 to
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1=649
> <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=649>
>
> I also realized I had only defined chords for 12 keys, not 17 (ais but
> not bes, etc), so I've fixed that now on the version in LSR.
>
> While I'm at it, the predefined-guitar-ninth-fretboards.ly file is not
> mentioned very clearly in the documentation. Is there a reason these
> haven't been added to predefined-guitar-fretboard.ly, or at least
> mentioned in B.3?

There's a reason they are not combined, and it might even be a good one.
The guitar-ninth-fretboards got added in response to some comments about
errors in the documentation (that were actually errors in the automatic
fretboard generation).

We use a C9 chord in the documentation to demonstrate automatic fretboard
generation.  Our initial plan was to leave the 9th fretboards out of
predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly so we could continue to do that, but maybe
that's a myopic view.

There is no good reason for not mentioning
predefined-guitar-ninth-fretboards.ly in B.3.

Now that I think about it, we should probably figure out some other way to
demonstrate the automatic fretboard calculation process, and go ahead and
add guitar-ninth-fretobards.ly to predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly


>
>>> As I mentioned before, would it also be possible to get the set of
>>> standard ukulele tunings added?  Again, these are:
>>>
>>>   ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
>>>   ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
>>>   ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
>>>   ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'
>>
>> Please convert these to the proper scheme commands, and I'll add them
>> to output-lib.  As a temporary workaround, you could add them at the
>> top of predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
>
> Right, I did add that ukulele-tuning to predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
> I had avoided the others just because I thought I might make a mistake
> and wasn't sure how to easily proofread these.  Here you go, but
> someone ought to double check these numbers (for example, I think one
> number was wrong in the last version I sent to this list):

Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no *someone* available to
double-check the numbers.  As it stands right now, you are the expert on
ukulele fretboards and ukulele tunings for LilyPond.

Perhaps you could find some external resources you could use to check and
make sure these are correct.

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Matt C
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 01:44:06PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>We use a C9 chord in the documentation to demonstrate automatic
>fretboard generation.  Our initial plan was to leave the 9th
>fretboards out of predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly so we could continue
>to do that, but maybe that's a myopic view.

I see.  So perhaps this could be demonstrated with c:maj9, c:m9, or
something else from the list in section B.2.

>>>> As I mentioned before, would it also be possible to get the set of
>>>> standard ukulele tunings added?  Again, these are:
>>>>
>>>>   ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
>>>>   ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
>>>>   ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
>>>>   ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'
>>>
>>> Please convert these to the proper scheme commands, and I'll add
>>> them to output-lib.  As a temporary workaround, you could add them
>>> at the top of predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
>>
>> Right, I did add that ukulele-tuning to
>> predefined-ukulele-fretboards.  I had avoided the others just
>> because I thought I might make a mistake and wasn't sure how to
>> easily proofread these.  Here you go, but someone ought to double
>> check these numbers (for example, I think one number was wrong in
>> the last version I sent to this list):
>
>Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no *someone* available to
>double-check the numbers.  As it stands right now, you are the expert
>on ukulele fretboards and ukulele tunings for LilyPond.

Right, I gathered that from the lack of discussion of this topic in the
mailing list archives.  I personally have ever only played a soprano
ukulele with standard tuning; the list above comes directly from
Wikipedia, which I've cross-checked against a few ukulele websites, and
see no reason to distrust.  But in case it wasn't clear, the only part
I wanted help with was the conversion to a Scheme command.  This was
the source of the error I mentioned above, not a lack of familiarity
with ukulele tunings themselves.  I know there are examples of setting
the tunings for various instruments in the documentation, but since
those settings don't result in a clear visual output like the fretboard
diagrams themselves, I wasn't certain how to double-check them.

But if no-one is able to do this, then I would ask that just the
standard soprano tuning (which will cover the vast majority of use
cases) be included for now.

Thanks,
Matt

--
[hidden email] | http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/
"Recall that whatever lofty things you might accomplish today, you will do
them only because you first ate something that grew out of dirt."
 -- Barbara Kingsolver


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen



On 11/24/09 2:33 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 01:44:06PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> We use a C9 chord in the documentation to demonstrate automatic
>> fretboard generation.  Our initial plan was to leave the 9th
>> fretboards out of predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly so we could continue
>> to do that, but maybe that's a myopic view.
>
> I see.  So perhaps this could be demonstrated with c:maj9, c:m9, or
> something else from the list in section B.2.
>
>>>>> As I mentioned before, would it also be possible to get the set of
>>>>> standard ukulele tunings added?  Again, these are:
>>>>>
>>>>>   ukulele-tuning            g'c'e'a'
>>>>>   ukulele-d-tuning          a'd'f#'b'
>>>>>   ukulele-tenor-tuning      gc'e'a'
>>>>>   ukulele-baritone-tuning   dgbe'
>>>>
>>>> Please convert these to the proper scheme commands, and I'll add
>>>> them to output-lib.  As a temporary workaround, you could add them
>>>> at the top of predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
>>>
>>> Right, I did add that ukulele-tuning to
>>> predefined-ukulele-fretboards.  I had avoided the others just
>>> because I thought I might make a mistake and wasn't sure how to
>>> easily proofread these.  Here you go, but someone ought to double
>>> check these numbers (for example, I think one number was wrong in
>>> the last version I sent to this list):
>>
>> Unfortunately, as far as I know, there is no *someone* available to
>> double-check the numbers.  As it stands right now, you are the expert
>> on ukulele fretboards and ukulele tunings for LilyPond.
>
> Right, I gathered that from the lack of discussion of this topic in the
> mailing list archives.  I personally have ever only played a soprano
> ukulele with standard tuning; the list above comes directly from
> Wikipedia, which I've cross-checked against a few ukulele websites, and
> see no reason to distrust.  But in case it wasn't clear, the only part
> I wanted help with was the conversion to a Scheme command.  This was
> the source of the error I mentioned above, not a lack of familiarity
> with ukulele tunings themselves.  I know there are examples of setting
> the tunings for various instruments in the documentation, but since
> those settings don't result in a clear visual output like the fretboard
> diagrams themselves, I wasn't certain how to double-check them.

Probably the simplest way to double-check them is to set the stringTunings
property to the specified ukulele tuning, then have an automatic fretboard
be calculated from a chord containing the open-string pitches.

Oooh -- now that I think about it that won't work right now, because the
automatic fretboard calculator requires sorted string pitches (i.e. pitch
continually increases or decreases from one string to the next, and ukuleles
don't do that).

So for right now, let's put them in at what is your best guess.  If they're
wrong, it won't hurt anybody right now.  If they're right, we've got it
done.

BTW, I checked your numbers, and they looked right to me.

Thanks,

Carl




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Matt C
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 02:59:39PM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>Probably the simplest way to double-check them is to set the
>stringTunings property to the specified ukulele tuning, then have an
>automatic fretboard be calculated from a chord containing the
>open-string pitches.

I did try this with a few simple chords and the standard soprano
tuning, but got unexpected results.

>Oooh -- now that I think about it that won't work right now, because
>the automatic fretboard calculator requires sorted string pitches
>(i.e. pitch continually increases or decreases from one string to the
>next, and ukuleles don't do that).

Ah, that explains why the automatically generated fretboards looked so
bizarre (which is why I had to write out all the fretboards for my own
use in the first place).

>So for right now, let's put them in at what is your best guess.  If
>they're wrong, it won't hurt anybody right now.  If they're right,
>we've got it done.
>
>BTW, I checked your numbers, and they looked right to me.

Works for me.  Since apparently no-one else is using lilypond much for
ukulele music now (because I can't imagine they'd just be using \markup
fretboards over and over), there shouldn't be much harm, as you say.

Thanks again,
Matt

--
[hidden email] | http://theorem.ca/~mvcorks/
"Recall that whatever lofty things you might accomplish today, you will do
them only because you first ate something that grew out of dirt."
 -- Barbara Kingsolver


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen
In reply to this post by Matt C



On 11/24/09 12:17 PM, "Matt Corks" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:24:45AM -0700, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> We also need a blurb to go in the documentation somewhere (probably in
>> the fret diagrams section) that mentions the presence of
>> predefined-ukulele-fretboards.
>
> Okay, as a starting point, I've added some proposed documentation
> changes for sections 2.4.1 and B.3 to
> http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1=649
> <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=649>

ukulele fretboards have been added to git.

The tunings were added to scm/tablatures.scm, instead of scm/output-lib.scm,
because all of the tunings have been moved there.  The documentation was
also updated to reflect that.

Thanks for your great work, Matt!

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Marc Hohl
In reply to this post by Carl Sorensen
Carl Sorensen schrieb:
> [...]
>
> Oooh -- now that I think about it that won't work right now, because the
> automatic fretboard calculator requires sorted string pitches (i.e. pitch
> continually increases or decreases from one string to the next, and ukuleles
> don't do that).
>  
That's the problem mentioned in tracker #703, right?
Where in the code is the function to be found that calculates
the frets from pitches?

Marc



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Carl Sorensen



On 11/25/09 12:01 PM, "Marc Hohl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen schrieb:
>> [...]
>>
>> Oooh -- now that I think about it that won't work right now, because the
>> automatic fretboard calculator requires sorted string pitches (i.e. pitch
>> continually increases or decreases from one string to the next, and ukuleles
>> don't do that).
>>  
> That's the problem mentioned in tracker #703, right?

Yes.

> Where in the code is the function to be found that calculates
> the frets from pitches?

In scm/translation-functions.scm, determine-frets-mf, I believe.

Thanks,

Carl



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: ukulele fretboards

Marc Hohl
Carl Sorensen schrieb:

>
> On 11/25/09 12:01 PM, "Marc Hohl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
>> Carl Sorensen schrieb:
>>    
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Oooh -- now that I think about it that won't work right now, because the
>>> automatic fretboard calculator requires sorted string pitches (i.e. pitch
>>> continually increases or decreases from one string to the next, and ukuleles
>>> don't do that).
>>>  
>>>      
>> That's the problem mentioned in tracker #703, right?
>>    
>
> Yes.
>
>  
>> Where in the code is the function to be found that calculates
>> the frets from pitches?
>>    
>
> In scm/translation-functions.scm, determine-frets-mf, I believe.
>  
Thanks, I'll have a look at it, perhaps I can find out how it works ;-)

Marc
> Thanks,
>
> Carl
>
>
>  



Loading...