Re: Errors in Documentation/snippets

Carl Sorensen
Dear tablature users,

Here's the chance for you to step up and help LilyPond.

Marc has added substantially to the tablature support for LilyPond.  Now we
need to have the documentation added.

I'm hoping we can get one of the tablature users to take care of the
documentation.  I'll be happy to provide the support needed to make this
happen.

It would be great if it could be done this week, because 2.13.5 is coming
out soon.

Please let me know if you're willing to tackle this.

On 9/24/09 8:05 AM, "Marc Hohl" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> glad to see that 2.13.4 is out!
>
> However, by clicking through the docs, I found some errors on
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/snippets/Fretted-strings#Fretted-s
> trings
>
> 1) Guitar slides:
>
> Here the ledger lines are still visible. Moreover, guitar notation is
> generally
> notated with \clef "treble_8".
>
> %% Hide fret number: useful to draw slide into/from a casual point of
> %% the fretboard.
> hideFretNumber = { \once \override TabNoteHead #'transparent = ##t
> \once \override NoteHead #'transparent = ##t
> \once \override Stem #'transparent = ##t
> \once \override NoteHead #'no-ledgers = ##t %%%<- should be added
> }
>
> music= \relative c' {
> \grace { \hideFretNumber d8\2 \glissando s2 } g2\2
> \grace { \hideFretNumber g8\2 \glissando s2 } d2 |
>
> \grace { \hideFretNumber c,8 \glissando s } f4\5^\markup \tiny "Slide into"
> \grace { \hideFretNumber f8 \glissando s } a4\4
> \grace { \hideFretNumber e'8\3 \glissando s } b4\3^\markup \tiny "Slide
> from"
> \grace { \hideFretNumber b'8 \glissando s2 } g4 |
> }
>
> \score {
> <<
> \new Staff {
> \clef "G_8" %%%<_ should be added
> \music
> }
> \new TabStaff {
> \music
> }
>>>
> }
>
> %%%%
>
> 2) Modern TAB text clef
>
> I don't know whether this snippet is still needed because since 2.13.4
> we have
> \clef "moderntab" as an option, so no markup constructs are necessary.
> If this example should stay, it can simply be achieved by:
>
> \new TabStaff {
> \clef "moderntab"
> }
>
> If there is a consensus whether 2) should be deleted or changed, I can
> create a small patch for this.
>
> Marc

Re: Re: Errors in Documentation/snippets

Patrick Schmidt-3
Dear Carl,

I'm willing to tackle this but I don't know whether I can manage it within this week. I'm having some problems invoking LilyPond from the command-line (see bug mailing list). I am able to download the main source code but I was not successful to build documentation without compiling LilyPond. But maybe there is a workaround.

Please let me know where to start off.

Cheers,
patrick

On 9/25/09 2:52 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Carl,
>
> I'm willing to tackle this but I don't know whether I can manage it within
> this week. I'm having some problems invoking LilyPond from the command-line
> (see bug mailing list). I am able to download the main source code but I was
> not successful to build documentation without compiling LilyPond. But maybe
> there is a workaround.

I'll be happy to do the compiling of the documentation you write.  You can
just email me the .itely file as well as the snippets.

> Please let me know where to start off.

Start by reading the Contributors' Guide section 3, Documentation work:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/Documentation-work

This give you all the rules needed for documentation.  It suggests that for
larger contributions (like you are going to make) you should send git
patches.  If you *know how to use* git, or if you *want to learn to use*
git, then go ahead and do that.  If you do not want to get involved in git
yet, just send me the whole file.

The file you want to work with is fretted-strings.itely, which you can get
from

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentat
ion/notation/fretted-strings.itely;hb=HEAD

The sample files that you can use to see all of the features that have been
added are in the regression tests, and can be found at

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree;f=input/regression
;h=33a04eb62354ef92ffc458968b953ff8a4febd7a;hb=HEAD

Look for files whose names start with "tablature".

Following the examples of other sections in fretted-strings.itely, please
add sections on how to use all of the features that Marc added.  And please
try to add index terms, as suggested in the Contributors' guide.

Also, the snippet

Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly should be copied to

Documentation/snippets/new/modern-tab-text-clef.ly

and the content of the snippet should be changed to

\markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}

This will ensure that when the next stable version of LilyPond is released,
that snippet will go away.

If you don't have git, then I'll handle the copying, but I'd still
appreciate it if you'd create the new version of the snippet.

Thanks for your willingness to do this.

Please let me know if you need more help or guidance.

Re: Re: Errors in Documentation/snippets

Patrick Schmidt-3

> > Dear Carl,
> >
> > I'm willing to tackle this but I don't know whether I can manage it
> within
> > this week. I'm having some problems invoking LilyPond from the
> command-line
> > (see bug mailing list). I am able to download the main source code but I
> was
> > not successful to build documentation without compiling LilyPond. But
> maybe
> > there is a workaround.
>
> I'll be happy to do the compiling of the documentation you write.  You can
> just email me the .itely file as well as the snippets.
>

> > Please let me know where to start off.
> >

> Start by reading the Contributors' Guide section 3, Documentation work:
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/Documentation-work

Ok, I read the relevant sections.

> This give you all the rules needed for documentation.  It suggests that
> for
> larger contributions (like you are going to make) you should send git
> patches.  If you *know how to use* git, or if you *want to learn to use*
> git, then go ahead and do that.  If you do not want to get involved in git
> yet, just send me the whole file.

I already have some experience with git. At least I know the basic commands.
> The file you want to work with is fretted-strings.itely, which you can get
> from
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentat
> ion/notation/fretted-strings.itely;hb=HEAD
>

> The sample files that you can use to see all of the features that have
> been
> added are in the regression tests, and can be found at
>
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree;f=input/regression
> ;h=33a04eb62354ef92ffc458968b953ff8a4febd7a;hb=HEAD
>
> Look for files whose names start with "tablature".

Are these the same files as the ones I have in

~/lilypond/Documentation/notation

and

~/lilypond/input/regression

after downloading the main source code with git?

> Following the examples of other sections in fretted-strings.itely, please
> add sections on how to use all of the features that Marc added.  And
> please
> try to add index terms, as suggested in the Contributors' guide.
>
> Also, the snippet
>
> Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly should be copied to
>
> Documentation/snippets/new/modern-tab-text-clef.ly
>
> and the content of the snippet should be changed to
>
> \markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}

Just to make sure that I understood:
I copy the file modern-tab-text-clef.ly from

Documentation/snippets/

Documentation/snippets/new/

and replace the complete content of the old file in Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly by \markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}, right?

> This will ensure that when the next stable version of LilyPond is
> released,
> that snippet will go away.
>
> If you don't have git, then I'll handle the copying, but I'd still
> appreciate it if you'd create the new version of the snippet.
I'm quite sure that I'll manage to create and send you git-patches, (but I will probably not be able to build documentation on my machine because of a nasty bus error I can't get rid off).

> Thanks for your willingness to do this.
>
> Please let me know if you need more help or guidance.

Thanks for your help,
patrick

On 9/25/09 11:31 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Dear Carl,
>>>
>>> I'm willing to tackle this but I don't know whether I can manage it
>> within
>>> this week. I'm having some problems invoking LilyPond from the
>> command-line
>>> (see bug mailing list). I am able to download the main source code but I
>> was
>>> not successful to build documentation without compiling LilyPond. But
>> maybe
>>> there is a workaround.
>>
>> I'll be happy to do the compiling of the documentation you write.  You can
>> just email me the .itely file as well as the snippets.

Since you have git, don't email me the .itely file; just send me patches
(and tell me the SHA1 ID of the version you're patching against, please).

>>> Please let me know where to start off.
>>>

>> Start by reading the Contributors' Guide section 3, Documentation work:
>>
>> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor/Documentation-work
>>
> Ok, I read the relevant sections.
>
>> This give you all the rules needed for documentation.  It suggests that
>> for
>> larger contributions (like you are going to make) you should send git
>> patches.  If you *know how to use* git, or if you *want to learn to use*
>> git, then go ahead and do that.  If you do not want to get involved in git
>> yet, just send me the whole file.
>>
> I already have some experience with git. At least I know the basic commands.

Great -- it's much easier to use git.  I just didn't want to put a big
hurdle for git in front of you.

>> The file you want to work with is fretted-strings.itely, which you can get
>> from
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=blob_plain;f=Documentat
>> ion/notation/fretted-strings.itely;hb=HEAD
>>

>> The sample files that you can use to see all of the features that have
>> been
>> added are in the regression tests, and can be found at
>>
>> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=tree;f=input/regression
>> ;h=33a04eb62354ef92ffc458968b953ff8a4febd7a;hb=HEAD
>>
>> Look for files whose names start with "tablature".
>>

> Are these the same files as the ones I have in
>
> ~/lilypond/Documentation/notation
>
> and
>
> ~/lilypond/input/regression
>
> after downloading the main source code with git?

Yes they are.  One you've done a git fetch or a git pull, you have exactly
the same files as are on the savannah repository.

>> Following the examples of other sections in fretted-strings.itely, please
>> add sections on how to use all of the features that Marc added.  And
>> please
>> try to add index terms, as suggested in the Contributors' guide.
>>
>> Also, the snippet
>>
>> Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly should be copied to
>>
>> Documentation/snippets/new/modern-tab-text-clef.ly
>>
>> and the content of the snippet should be changed to
>>
>> \markup {This snippet is obsolete as of version 2.13.4}
>>

> Just to make sure that I understood:
> I copy the file modern-tab-text-clef.ly from
>
> Documentation/snippets/

> Documentation/snippets/new/
>
> and replace the complete content of the old file in
> Documentation/snippets/modern-tab-text-clef.ly by \markup {This snippet is
> obsolete as of version 2.13.4}, right?

Almost, but not quite.

You will leave the header there (but remove the automatically-added parts of
the header).  Then you will change the *body* of the snippet to \markukp{}.

See
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.lilypond.devel/22660/match=snippet+o
bsolete
for more information.

>> This will ensure that when the next stable version of LilyPond is
>> released,
>> that snippet will go away.
>>
>> If you don't have git, then I'll handle the copying, but I'd still
>> appreciate it if you'd create the new version of the snippet.
> I'm quite sure that I'll manage to create and send you git-patches, (but I
> will probably not be able to build documentation on my machine because of a
> nasty bus error I can't get rid off).

That's OK.  I'm happy to do the building for you.

Neil Puttock schrieb:

> 2009/9/25 Marc Hohl <[hidden email]>:
>

>> The problem I see is the fact that \clef "moderntab" is available in 2.13.4,
>> whereas LSR is
>> based on 2.12, as far as I know. So "moderntab" should go into the docs for
>> 2.13, not into LSR (yet).
>>

> Until the tablature documentation is updated, I suggest amending this
> snippet and adding it to snippets/new so it overrides the LSR example.

Thanks, Neil, I'll forward this to the tablature group, because Patrick
declared himself
willing to work on the tablature documentation.

@Partick: thanks for working on the docs!

Marc