R and r rests change behaviour of markups in tablature

R and r rests change behaviour of markups in tablature

Viktor Mastoridis
Hello everyone,

I haven't been using Lilyponds tablature functions for some time, but now I am back and using the tablature.ly has helped dramatically in clearing up the looks of a score.
So, heartedly thanks to all contributors.

I have a strange problem, though.

The whole score/tablature looks nice and clean (I am using \tabNumbersOnly)

Except  when I want to add a text markup after a "R" rest (whole rest for the bar, regardless of its time sign.).

Thus, this sentence:
R1._\markup \rounded-box {"Impr."}

produces the word "Impr." in both the score and tab.

If I do
r1._\markup \rounded-box {"Impr."}
(replace "R" with "r")
everything is normal, i.e. the text shows only once, as in the whole score.
But then there are two rests showing, and I would love to have only a whole (time sign. is 3/2)

Any suggestions?
---
Viktor

Re: R and r rests change behaviour of markups in tablature

Marc Hohl
Viktor Mastoridis schrieb:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I haven't been using Lilyponds tablature functions for some time, but
> now I am back and using the tablature.ly <http://tablature.ly> has
> helped dramatically in clearing up the looks of a score.
> So, heartedly thanks to all contributors.
Thank you :-) By the way, it would be easier to update to the current
development version if you need
general tablature support.  There are a lot of enhancements, and the use
of tablature.ly is obsolete.

> I have a strange problem, though.
>
> The whole score/tablature looks nice and clean (I am using
> \tabNumbersOnly)
>
> Except  when I want to add a text markup after a "R" rest (whole rest
> for the bar, regardless of its time sign.).
>
> Thus, this sentence:
> R1._\markup \rounded-box {"Impr."}
>
> produces the word "Impr." in both the score and tab.
>
> If I do
> r1._\markup \rounded-box {"Impr."}
> (replace "R" with "r")
> everything is normal, i.e. the text shows only once, as in the whole
> score.
> But then there are two rests showing, and I would love to have only a
> whole (time sign. is 3/2)
Thanks for your observations! As a workaround, you can use

\override TabVoice.MultiMeasureRestText #'transparent = ##t

or

\layout {
  \context {
  \TabVoice
  \override MultiMeasureRestText #'transparent = ##t
  }
}

in your file. I'll prepare a patch, so I hope this is fixed in the next
release (2.13.32).

Greetings

Marc

> Any suggestions?
> ---
> Viktor

Re: R and r rests change behaviour of markups in tablature

Viktor Mastoridis
Thank you :-) By the way, it would be easier to update to the current development version if you need
general tablature support.  There are a lot of enhancements, and the use of tablature.ly is obsolete.

Oh, I wasn't aware. Thanks for this, I will.

Thanks for your observations! As a workaround, you can use
\override TabVoice.MultiMeasureRestText #'transparent = ##t

or

\layout {
 \context {
 \TabVoice
 \override MultiMeasureRestText #'transparent = ##t
 }
}

Thank you so much, it did the job:-)

Viktor