Power chords

Patrick Schmidt-3
Hi all,

here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file containing
power chords??? Where would they have to go?

The following example shows that there are quite a few ways of coding
power chords. Personally I like using for example c1:1.5 or c1:1.5.8
for two- and three-voiced power chords as it's short and shows
clearly which steps are in the chord. If no one objects I could offer
to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?

\version "2.13.33" % on Mac OS X

\include "powerchords.ly"

ChordsAndSymbols = \chordmode {
   \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords
   \set minimumFret = #3
   c,1^3
   d,1:5^3
   c,1:5.8^3
   \set minimumFret = #1
   f,,1:5.8^3
   g,,1:8^3.7
   \set minimumFret = #8
   c,1:1.5
   c,1:1.5.8
   \set minimumFret = #3
   f,1^3
   f,1:5.8^3
   bes,1:5.8^3
   \set minimumFret = #0
   a,,1:5.8^3
   e,,1:5.8^3
}

\score {
   <<
     \new ChordNames { \ChordsAndSymbols }
     \new Staff {
       \clef "treble_8"
            \ChordsAndSymbols
     }
     \new TabStaff {
       \ChordsAndSymbols
     }

}

Thanks for any feedback!
patrick

powerchords.ly (245 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Power chords

Carl Sorensen

On 9/12/10 2:21 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
> The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
> little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
> code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
> unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file containing
> power chords??? Where would they have to go?

I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly

> The following example shows that there are quite a few ways of coding
> power chords. Personally I like using for example c1:1.5 or c1:1.5.8
> for two- and three-voiced power chords as it's short and shows
> clearly which steps are in the chord.

I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:5^3.8

These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.

> If no one objects I could offer
> to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
> Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?

Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a snippet.
Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and make
sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings tag.

Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR 2.4.2 to
include your snippet.

Also, I'd recommend that we consider adding the power chords to
ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  Currently, the manual shows how they
could be added as alternate voicings of regular major chords.  But now that
you have specific chord modifier sequences for power chords, I think it
makes great sense to add them to the predefineds.  If we do that, then we
don't need to worry about adjusting minimumFret when transposing (and the
predefined fretboard will automatically be transferred to the tablature).

Re: Power chords

Patrick Schmidt-3
Am 12.09.2010 um 23:09 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> On 9/12/10 2:21 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
>> The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
>> little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
>> code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
>> unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file containing
>> power chords??? Where would they have to go?
>
> I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
Ah, right. Now I found that there is already a definition for 2-
voiced power chords in ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly (Definition of
partialJazzMusic)! For test purposes I "switched on"

partialJazzExceptions=
#(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions partialJazzMusic #t)

and used

\set chordNameExceptions = #partialJazzExceptions

in my example. So why is partialJazzExceptions set to #f by default?
While it might be historically correct to classify power chords as
originating from jazz music it's not very user friendly. I'd think
most people associate it intuitively with rock music. Would it be
difficult to write commands like \powerChordsOn and \powerChordsOff?
Or maybe just \powerChords would be enough as the chord name
exceptions turn themselves off as soon as standard chords are used?

Meanwhile I could add the definition of 3-voiced power chords to the
definition of partialJazzMusic.

>> The following example shows that there are quite a few ways of coding
>> power chords. Personally I like using for example c1:1.5 or c1:1.5.8
>> for two- and three-voiced power chords as it's short and shows
>> clearly which steps are in the chord.
>
> I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:
> 5^3.8
>
> These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.
Ok, I'll do that.

>> If no one objects I could offer
>> to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
>> Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?
>
> Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a
> snippet.
> Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and
> make
> sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings
> tag.
>
> Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR
> include your snippet.
I will do it but I won't have enough time for this before thursday/
the end of the week.

> Also, I'd recommend that we consider adding the power chords to
> ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  Currently, the manual shows
> how they
> could be added as alternate voicings of regular major chords.  But
> now that
> you have specific chord modifier sequences for power chords, I
> think it
> makes great sense to add them to the predefineds.  If we do that,
> then we
> don't need to worry about adjusting minimumFret when transposing
> (and the
> predefined fretboard will automatically be transferred to the
> tablature).
Hm, I'm not too sure about this. This would mean to add five
respectively four voicings for 2-voiced respectively 3-voiced power
chords to ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly. I remember vaguely that
it's difficult (if not impossible) to add different fretboards for
the same pitch name, e.g. a,:1.5.8 can be played in first position on
the fifth string or in fifth position on the sixth string, etc.
Very often when I transpose chords I decide against the form that was
just shifted up or down the fretboard that is if I have for example a
c minor chord in third position I might prefer to see a chord in
first position (instead of fifth position) after transposing it to d
minor. For this reason I actually prefer the automatic calculation or
define the chords individually.
So does that make sense to you?

Thanks,
patrick

> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Re: Power chords

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 13.09.2010 um 10:35 schrieb Patrick Schmidt:

> Am 12.09.2010 um 23:09 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>

>> On 9/12/10 2:21 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
>>> The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
>>> little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
>>> code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
>>> unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file
>>> containing
>>> power chords??? Where would they have to go?
>>
>> I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
> Ah, right. Now I found that there is already a definition for 2-
> voiced power chords in ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly (Definition of
> partialJazzMusic)! For test purposes I "switched on"
>
> partialJazzExceptions=
> #(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions partialJazzMusic #t)
>
> and used
>
> \set chordNameExceptions = #partialJazzExceptions
>
> in my example. So why is partialJazzExceptions set to #f by
> default? While it might be historically correct to classify power
> chords as originating from jazz music it's not very user friendly.
> I'd think most people associate it intuitively with rock music.
> Would it be difficult to write commands like \powerChordsOn and
> \powerChordsOff? Or maybe just \powerChords would be enough as the
> chord name exceptions turn themselves off as soon as standard
> chords are used?
Or even better: engrave chord name x5 whenever x:1.5 or x:1.5.8 is
> [...]

>> tablature).
> Hm, I'm not too sure about this. This would mean to add five
> respectively four voicings for 2-voiced respectively 3-voiced power
> chords to ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly. I remember vaguely
> that it's difficult (if not impossible) to add different fretboards
> for the same pitch name, e.g. a,:1.5.8 can be played in first
> position on the fifth string or in fifth position on the sixth
> string, etc.
> Very often when I transpose chords I decide against the form that
> was just shifted up or down the fretboard that is if I have for
> example a c minor chord in third position I might prefer to see a
> chord in first position (instead of fifth position) after
> transposing it to d minor. For this reason I actually prefer the
> automatic calculation or define the chords individually.

Re: Power chords

Carl Sorensen
On 9/13/10 4:25 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Or even better: engrave chord name x5 whenever x:1.5 or x:1.5.8 is
> used...

Yes, but this is incompatible with the current chord naming scheme; hence
the use of exceptions.

But if you want to do that, go right ahead.

Re: Power chords

On 9/13/10 2:35 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 12.09.2010 um 23:09 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>

>> On 9/12/10 2:21 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
>>> The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
>>> little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
>>> code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
>>> unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file containing
>>> power chords??? Where would they have to go?
>>
>> I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
> Ah, right. Now I found that there is already a definition for 2-
> voiced power chords in ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly (Definition of
> partialJazzMusic)! For test purposes I "switched on"
>
> partialJazzExceptions=
> #(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions partialJazzMusic #t)
>
> and used
>
> \set chordNameExceptions = #partialJazzExceptions
>
> in my example. So why is partialJazzExceptions set to #f by default?

I have no idea.  This setup preceded my time with LilyPond.  If you have a
better idea, by all means propose it.

> While it might be historically correct to classify power chords as
> originating from jazz music it's not very user friendly. I'd think
> most people associate it intuitively with rock music. Would it be
> difficult to write commands like \powerChordsOn and \powerChordsOff?
> Or maybe just \powerChords would be enough as the chord name
> exceptions turn themselves off as soon as standard chords are used?

Is there a reason *not* to have power chords?  What we're talking about
here, IIUC, is the chord name we get when we see c:1.5 or c:1.5.8.  In rock
music, you can indicate it by C^5, but in "traditional" music, we don't have
a name for this chord.  I don't think there's a clash.

> Meanwhile I could add the definition of 3-voiced power chords to the
> definition of partialJazzMusic.
>>

>>> The following example shows that there are quite a few ways of coding
>>> power chords. Personally I like using for example c1:1.5 or c1:1.5.8
>>> for two- and three-voiced power chords as it's short and shows
>>> clearly which steps are in the chord.
>>
>> I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:
>> 5^3.8
>>
>> These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.
> Ok, I'll do that.

Thanks.

>>> If no one objects I could offer
>>> to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
>>> Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?
>>
>> Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a
>> snippet.
>> Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and
>> make
>> sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings
>> tag.
>>
>> Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR
>> include your snippet.
> I will do it but I won't have enough time for this before thursday/
> the end of the week.

That will be great.

>> Also, I'd recommend that we consider adding the power chords to
>> ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  Currently, the manual shows
>> how they
>> could be added as alternate voicings of regular major chords.  But
>> now that
>> you have specific chord modifier sequences for power chords, I
>> think it
>> makes great sense to add them to the predefineds.  If we do that,
>> then we
>> don't need to worry about adjusting minimumFret when transposing
>> (and the
>> predefined fretboard will automatically be transferred to the
>> tablature).
> Hm, I'm not too sure about this. This would mean to add five
> respectively four voicings for 2-voiced respectively 3-voiced power
> chords to ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly. I remember vaguely that
> it's difficult (if not impossible) to add different fretboards for
> the same pitch name, e.g. a,:1.5.8 can be played in first position on
> the fifth string or in fifth position on the sixth string, etc.

It's actually impossible to add different predefined fretboards for the same
pitch name.  The way we get different predefined fretboards for the same
chord is by using different octaves for the chord.

> Very often when I transpose chords I decide against the form that was
> just shifted up or down the fretboard that is if I have for example a
> c minor chord in third position I might prefer to see a chord in
> first position (instead of fifth position) after transposing it to d
> minor. For this reason I actually prefer the automatic calculation or
> define the chords individually.
> So does that make sense to you?

Yes, that makes perfect sense to me.  There's always a tradeoff when using
the predefined diagrams.  If you don't feel like it makes sense to add power
chords to the predefined diagrams, I'm OK with that.

Re: Power chords

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 12.09.2010 um 23:09 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> On 9/12/10 2:21 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
>> The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
>> little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
>> code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
>> unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file containing
>> power chords??? Where would they have to go?
>
> I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
Is there anything wrong with adding the following lines to ly/chord-
modifiers-init.ly?

powerChordSymbol = {
     <c g>-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
     <c g c'>1-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
}

powerChords =
#(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)

I also would like to have a command like \powerChords to avoid to
have to write "\set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords". So far I use
this command in my .ly-files.

powerChords = {
   \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords
}

Where do I have to put this command and what do I have to do/change
to make it an "official/executable" command without having to define
it "manually" in my .ly-files?

>> The following example shows that there are quite a few ways of coding
>> power chords. Personally I like using for example c1:1.5 or c1:1.5.8
>> for two- and three-voiced power chords as it's short and shows
>> clearly which steps are in the chord.
>
> I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:
> 5^3.8
>
> These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.
I guess there should be only one additional entry showing both
versions in half notes?
c2:1.5 c2:1.5.8

>> If no one objects I could offer
>> to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
>> Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?
>
> Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a
> snippet.
> Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and
> make
> sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings
> tag.
I haven't done that before so I'll first have to find an example for
that.

> Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR
> include your snippet.
Ok, but what about the sections "Extended and altered chords" and
"Printing chord names"? Shouldn't it be mentioned there as well?

> Also, I'd recommend that we consider adding the power chords to
> ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  Currently, the manual shows
> how they
> could be added as alternate voicings of regular major chords.  But
> now that
> you have specific chord modifier sequences for power chords, I
> think it
> makes great sense to add them to the predefineds.  If we do that,
> then we
> don't need to worry about adjusting minimumFret when transposing
> (and the
> predefined fretboard will automatically be transferred to the
> tablature).
I'll do that first. But unfortunately it's not possible to define
different diagrams for the same pitches on different strings (unless
we use different octaves for the chords which leads to wrong octaves
in note mode. So I don't think this is a good idea. I have some ideas
and questions concerning chord mode but I'll post them separately)
This means that I can only add a few diagrams to the predefineds,
e.g. maybe some sort of compromise: 3-voiced power chords on the 6th
string from e, to d and 2-voiced power chords on the 5th string from
a to g?

Is this of any use?

Thanks,
patrick

> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Re: Power chords

Carl Sorensen

On 9/16/10 6:00 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 12.09.2010 um 23:09 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
>

>> On 9/12/10 2:21 PM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> here is a solution for typesetting power chords and their symbols.
>>> The solution is not new and I didn't invent it but including the
>>> little file makes life a tiny bit easier. Maybe these few lines of
>>> code could become part of the lilypond bundle thus making it
>>> unnecessary to have to include them in each and every file containing
>>> power chords??? Where would they have to go?
>>
>> I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
> Is there anything wrong with adding the following lines to ly/chord-
> modifiers-init.ly?
>
> powerChordSymbol = {
>      <c g>-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
>      <c g c'>1-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
> }
>
> powerChords =
> #(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)

Adding these to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly would be fine.

> I also would like to have a command like \powerChords to avoid to
> have to write "\set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords". So far I use
> this command in my .ly-files.
>
> powerChords = {
>    \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords
> }
>
> Where do I have to put this command and what do I have to do/change
> to make it an "official/executable" command without having to define
> it "manually" in my .ly-files?

This command should probably be added to ly/property-init.ly.  However, it's
possible that it will be moved during patch review.

I think that the way you've currently written this could be improved.  The
way it's written, your second definition of powerChords will replace the
first when the code is parsed, even if it's not used in your ly file.

It would probably be better to define something like

powerChordExceptions =
  #(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)

and then

powerChords = {
   \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChordExceptions
}

This way, powerChordExceptions is still available in case somebody wants to
combine powerChordExceptions with their own personal list of chord
exceptions, by doing something like

myExceptions =
  #(append (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions myExceptionMusic #t)
           powerChordExceptions)

>> I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:
>> 5^3.8
>>
>> These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.
> I guess there should be only one additional entry showing both
> versions in half notes?
> c2:1.5 c2:1.5.8

I think two entries -- one for two-voiced power chord, one for three-voiced
power chord.

>>> If no one objects I could offer
>>> to add a few lines of text to the manual concerning power chords??!!
>>> Is it worth adding this example to the snippet repository?
>>
>> Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a
>> snippet.
>> Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and
>> make
>> sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings
>> tag.
> I haven't done that before so I'll first have to find an example for
> that.

If you use the definition of \powerChords, then \powerChords can be used in
the body of the documentation.  But there should still be a snippet showing
how to combine powerChords with other exceptions.

>> Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR
>> include your snippet.
> Ok, but what about the sections "Extended and altered chords" and
> "Printing chord names"? Shouldn't it be mentioned there as well?

Add a chords tag to the snippet as well.  A @seealso reference in each of
these sections would be appropriate.

When I search for "power chord" in google, it is clear that this is
primarily a guitar term, so I think it's appropriate to have the primary
documentation section in the Guitar music.

>> Also, I'd recommend that we consider adding the power chords to
>> ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  Currently, the manual shows
>> how they
>> could be added as alternate voicings of regular major chords.  But
>> now that
>> you have specific chord modifier sequences for power chords, I
>> think it
>> makes great sense to add them to the predefineds.  If we do that,
>> then we
>> don't need to worry about adjusting minimumFret when transposing
>> (and the
>> predefined fretboard will automatically be transferred to the
>> tablature).
> I'll do that first. But unfortunately it's not possible to define
> different diagrams for the same pitches on different strings (unless
> we use different octaves for the chords which leads to wrong octaves
> in note mode.

My take is that predefined fretboards aren't really used in note mode.  I've
never seen a fret diagram used when the exact notes to be played are shown
in the music below the fret diagram.  So I'm not particularly concerned
about this issue.  At the same time, I don't feel strongly about going
forward with different voicings in different octaves.  Any user who wants to
can easily define their own predefined fretboards.

> So I don't think this is a good idea. I have some ideas
> and questions concerning chord mode but I'll post them separately)
> This means that I can only add a few diagrams to the predefineds,
> e.g. maybe some sort of compromise: 3-voiced power chords on the 6th
> string from e, to d and 2-voiced power chords on the 5th string from
> a to g?

IF you don't think we ought to add power chords to the predefined diagrams,
I'm fine with that.  If you think that the set you proposed makes sense to
add, I'm fine with that.  You're much more of an expert on power chords than
I am, so I'm perfectly willing to defer to your judgment.  That's why I said
"we should consider adding" the predefined fretboards, not "we should add"
the predefined fretboards.  Your choice -- do what you think is best.

> Is this of any use?

I think it's of great use!

Re: Power chords

Patrick Schmidt-3

Am 16.09.2010 um 16:13 schrieb Carl Sorensen:

> On 9/16/10 6:00 AM, "Patrick Schmidt" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
>> Is there anything wrong with adding the following lines to ly/chord-
>> modifiers-init.ly?
>>
>> powerChordSymbol = {
>>      <c g>-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
>>      <c g c'>1-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
>> }
>>
>> powerChords =
>> #(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)
>
> Adding these to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly would be fine.
>

>> I also would like to have a command like \powerChords to avoid to
>> have to write "\set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords". So far I use
>> this command in my .ly-files.
>>
>> powerChords = {
>>    \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChords
>> }
>>
>> Where do I have to put this command and what do I have to do/change
>> to make it an "official/executable" command without having to define
>> it "manually" in my .ly-files?
>>

> This command should probably be added to ly/property-init.ly.
> However, it's
> possible that it will be moved during patch review.
>
> I think that the way you've currently written this could be
> improved.  The
> way it's written, your second definition of powerChords will
> replace the
> first when the code is parsed, even if it's not used in your ly file.
>
> It would probably be better to define something like
>
> powerChordExceptions =
>   #(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)
>
> and then
>
> powerChords = {
>    \set chordNameExceptions = #powerChordExceptions
> }
>
> This way, powerChordExceptions is still available in case somebody
> wants to
> combine powerChordExceptions with their own personal list of chord
> exceptions, by doing something like
>
> myExceptions =
>   #(append (sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions myExceptionMusic #t)
>            powerChordExceptions)
Ah, OK. When I first thought about it I didn't like the term
powerChordExceptions because it's a bit ambiguous but I understand
the problem. I will change it. Thanks!

>>> I concur with the c:1.5 and c:1.5.8  I prefer these to c:5^3 and c:
>>> 5^3.8
>>>
>>> These should be added to Appendix A.2 Common chord modifiers.
>> I guess there should be only one additional entry showing both
>> versions in half notes?
>> c2:1.5 c2:1.5.8
>
> I think two entries -- one for two-voiced power chord, one for
> three-voiced
> power chord.

ok.

>>> Since this uses \set, it belongs in the manual in the form of a
>>> snippet.
>>> Write the documentation right into the texidoc for the snippet, and
>>> make
>>> sure it gets added to the LSR with a docs tag and a fretted strings
>>> tag.
>> I haven't done that before so I'll first have to find an example for
>> that.
>
> If you use the definition of \powerChords, then \powerChords can be
> used in
> the body of the documentation.  But there should still be a snippet
> showing
> how to combine powerChords with other exceptions.

ok

>>> Then, we'll need to modify the Selected Snippets section of NR
>>> include your snippet.
>> Ok, but what about the sections "Extended and altered chords" and
>> "Printing chord names"? Shouldn't it be mentioned there as well?
>
> Add a chords tag to the snippet as well.  A @seealso reference in
> each of
> these sections would be appropriate.
>
> When I search for "power chord" in google, it is clear that this is
> primarily a guitar term, so I think it's appropriate to have the
> primary
> documentation section in the Guitar music.

ok

>>> Also, I'd recommend that we consider adding the power chords to
>>> ly/predefined-guitar-fretboards.ly.  Currently, the manual shows
>>> how they
>>> could be added as alternate voicings of regular major chords.  But
>>> now that
>>> you have specific chord modifier sequences for power chords, I
>>> think it
>>> makes great sense to add them to the predefineds.  If we do that,
>>> then we
>>> don't need to worry about adjusting minimumFret when transposing
>>> (and the
>>> predefined fretboard will automatically be transferred to the
>>> tablature).
>> I'll do that first. But unfortunately it's not possible to define
>> different diagrams for the same pitches on different strings (unless
>> we use different octaves for the chords which leads to wrong octaves
>> in note mode.
>
> My take is that predefined fretboards aren't really used in note
> mode.  I've
> never seen a fret diagram used when the exact notes to be played
> are shown
> in the music below the fret diagram.
True, neither have I to be honest! But it might be useful from a
pedagogical point of view and there is one place in the docs where
this would make sense: A.3 Predefined fretboard diagrams. I'm always
irritated when I look at this chart because fretboard diagrams and
notation have got little in common. The standard notation shows the
root position of 3-voiced chords whereas the chords in the diagrams
include four to six voices and many inversions!
> So I'm not particularly concerned
> about this issue.  At the same time, I don't feel strongly about going
> forward with different voicings in different octaves.  Any user who
> wants to
> can easily define their own predefined fretboards.
I see your point. On the other hand I would be willing and able to
contribute loads of predefined fretboards but it would be impossible
for me and other users to remember the octave that represents a
specific voicing. I'd rather prefer to be able to use string number
indications in the definition of fretboard diagrams (the way you
implemented it in the automatic fretboard calculation), something
like this:

\addChordShape #'a:dim_g-shape #guitar-tuning #"5-4;3-2;1-1;x;x;x;"
\addChordShape #'d:dim_c-shape #guitar-tuning #"x;5-4;3-2;1-1;x;x;"
\addChordShape #'fis:dim_e-shape #guitar-tuning #"x;x;4-4;2-2;1-1;x;"
\addChordShape #'b:dim_a-shape #guitar-tuning #"x;x;x;4-4;3-3;1-1;"
\storePredefinedDiagram <c\6 es ges>
                         #guitar-tuning
                         #(offset-fret 3 (chord-shape 'a:dim_g-shape
guitar-tuning))
\storePredefinedDiagram <c'\5 es' ges'>
                         #guitar-tuning
                         #(offset-fret 10 (chord-shape 'd:dim_c-shape
guitar-tuning))
\storePredefinedDiagram <c'\4 es' ges'>
                         #guitar-tuning
                         #(offset-fret 6 (chord-shape 'fis:dim_e-
shape guitar-tuning))
\storePredefinedDiagram <c'\3 es' ges'>
                         #guitar-tuning
                         #(offset-fret 1 (chord-shape 'b:dim_a-shape
guitar-tuning))

I think this would be useful as users could fall back on a growing
(WYMIWYG) chord library.
But I guess you would not second this proposition and it would
probably involve too much work to implement this feature. If I'm
wrong I'd be glad if you were willing to light the way for me...

>> So I don't think this is a good idea. I have some ideas
>> and questions concerning chord mode but I'll post them separately)
>> This means that I can only add a few diagrams to the predefineds,
>> e.g. maybe some sort of compromise: 3-voiced power chords on the 6th
>> string from e, to d and 2-voiced power chords on the 5th string from
>> a to g?
>
> IF you don't think we ought to add power chords to the predefined
> diagrams,
> I'm fine with that.  If you think that the set you proposed makes
> sense to
> add, I'm fine with that.  You're much more of an expert on power
> chords than
> I am, so I'm perfectly willing to defer to your judgment.  That's
> why I said
> "we should consider adding" the predefined fretboards, not "we
> should add"
> the predefined fretboards.  Your choice -- do what you think is best.
To be honest I think at the moment it's a lot easier and much more
flexible to use the automatic fretboards for power chords on
different strings.

>> Is this of any use?
>>

> I think it's of great use!

Thank you very much for your help!
patrick

> Thanks,
>
> Carl

Re: Power chords

Patrick Schmidt-3

I think they could be added to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
Is there anything wrong with adding the following lines to ly/chord-
modifiers-init.ly?

powerChordSymbol = {
     <c g>-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
     <c g c'>1-\markup { \normal-size-super "5" }
}

powerChords =
#(sequential-music-to-chord-exceptions powerChordSymbol #t)

Adding these to ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly would be fine.
Done

[...]

Done.

I included a patch I sent you a couple of days ago just in case you didn't get it. I tried to follow the documentation policy as close as I could. I hope I didn't overlook anything. Just tell me if something needs to be changed.

Thanks for your patience and help!!
patrick

P.S.: I got the following error when I clicked "Update source" in LilyPond Contributor's Git Interface version 0.64:
Command returned an error: child process exited abnormally. Check output text for details.

Updating LilyPond...
|git --git-dir=/Users/PLS/lilypond-git/.git fetch origin 2>@1
|git --git-dir=/Users/PLS/lilypond-git/.git rebase origin/master 2>@1
Documentation/notation/fretted-strings.itely: needs update
Documentation/notation/notation-appendices.itely: needs update
Done.

I hope I didn't mess anything up...

0001-power-chord-symbol.patch (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Power chords

Valentin Villenave
Administrator
On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Patrick Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This command should probably be added to ly/property-init.ly.  However, it's
> possible that it will be moved during patch review.

Hi guys,

have these patches been posted on -devel/Rietveld/anywhere? From what
I can tell, they haven't been merged nor further commented. Since it
would be a shame to loose Patrick's work, I've opened a tracker page
that will make the patches more visible:

Cheers,
Valentin