[OT]Jazz solo guitar, finger picking

rooss
Hi,

I've learned to solo on my electric guitar with a pick/plectrum. Now I'm
wondering what is the way Jazz guitarist do a solo without a pick?

T= thumb
i = index
m = middle finger
r= ring

E= T
A = T
D= T
G = i
B = m
E = r

???

Thanks in advance,

\r

Re: [tablatures] [OT]Jazz solo guitar, finger picking

Carl Sorensen

On 1/22/10 2:06 PM, "rosea grammostola" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've learned to solo on my electric guitar with a pick/plectrum. Now I'm
> wondering what is the way Jazz guitarist do a solo without a pick?
>
> T= thumb
> i = index
> m = middle finger
> r= ring
>
> E= T
> A = T
> D= T
> G = i
> B = m
> E = r
>
> ???

I can't speak for Jazz, but for classical it's almost always thumb (called
"p" in the classical music) for E, A, and D strings.

G,B, and E strings don't have a one-string, one-finger connection.  It
depends on the sequence of the notes being played.  It's common to to have
the i and m fingers alternate on notes, with an occasional ring finger
(called "a" in the classical music) thrown in.

HTH,

Re: [tablatures] [OT]Jazz solo guitar, finger picking

Patrick Schmidt-3

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:15:18 -0700
> Von: Carl Sorensen <[hidden email]>
> An: rosea grammostola <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [tablatures] [OT]Jazz solo guitar, finger picking

> On 1/22/10 2:06 PM, "rosea grammostola" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've learned to solo on my electric guitar with a pick/plectrum. Now I'm
> > wondering what is the way Jazz guitarist do a solo without a pick?
> >
> > T= thumb
> > i = index
> > m = middle finger
> > r= ring
> >
> > E= T
> > A = T
> > D= T
> > G = i
> > B = m
> > E = r
> >
> > ???
>
> I can't speak for Jazz, but for classical it's almost always thumb (called
> "p" in the classical music) for E, A, and D strings.
>
> G,B, and E strings don't have a one-string, one-finger connection.  It
> depends on the sequence of the notes being played.  It's common to to have
> the i and m fingers alternate on notes, with an occasional ring finger
> (called "a" in the classical music) thrown in.
>
> HTH,
>
> Carl

I'd say TTTimr or pppima is a good "rule of thumb";-) for arpeggio playing in general. It actually depends on the strings you play on. If you play 4-voiced chords on string 5 to 2 (or 6 to 3) then the position of the right hand fingers might be

E=
A=T/p
D=i
g=m
b=r/a

or even

E=T/p
A=i
D=m
g=r/a

So you might have to switch positions of your right hand. I actually use r/a quite a lot, for example for tremolo picking or if the succession of fingers would be awkward. It's more natural to use the outer fingers for the upper strings. Sometimes it even sounds better to me to use the a finger. In Jazz your right hand technique depends on the number of fingers you got left.;-) (Some Jazz players are supposed to have adjusted their playing technique after burning or losing some fingers.) Some jazz players use some sort of classical technique. Some others use only pim/Tim. Some use T/p an awful lot. It depends on the strings you're playing on, the tempo of the piece and the sound you want to achieve.

HTH,
patrick
--
Haiti-Nothilfe! Helfen Sie per SMS: Sende UIHAITI an die Nummer 81190.
Von 5 Euro je SMS (zzgl. SMS-Geb├╝hr) gehen 4,83 Euro an UNICEF.

Re: [tablatures] [OT]Jazz solo guitar, finger picking

Patrick Horgan
Patrick Schmidt wrote:
> So you might have to switch positions of your right hand. I actually use r/a quite a lot, for example for tremolo picking or if the succession of fingers would be awkward. It's more natural to use the outer fingers for the upper strings. Sometimes it even sounds better to me to use the a finger. In Jazz your right hand technique depends on the number of fingers you got left.;-) (Some Jazz players are supposed to have adjusted their playing technique after burning or losing some fingers.)
You're talking about Django Reinhardt (I wish I could play like him),
but it was his left hand.  He only had full mobility on two fingers, but
he used all four as you can see in many pictures of him playing.

>  Some jazz players use some sort of classical technique. Some others use only pim/Tim. Some use T/p an awful lot. It depends on the strings you're playing on, the tempo of the piece and the sound you want to achieve.
>
> HTH,
> patrick

I agree with everything everyone else says.  I'm a mediocre jazz
guitarist that plays usually without a pick, but I know many good jazz
guitarists many of whom play without picks.  They tend to be more
flexible in which fingers play what string in what circumstance than
classical guitarists, who follow methods when learning that spell out
exactly what they should do.  Although the thumb tends to play the lower
pitched three strings with the other fingers handling the lower three,
that's just because there's more movement on the lower three.  When
playing music with more movement in the  lower pitched strings, the
fingers naturally move up.  The little finger is usually not used on the
right hand (but I know one guy!)  Arpeggios in fours are tima, and
arpeggios in threes are tim, blah, blah, blah.  If you do what feels
right, you'll be fine.

Patrick who is not the other Patrick, but has the same cool name;)