Howto print every strings tuning at TAB start?

Howto print every strings tuning at TAB start?

TipTap
Hello all,

I read somewhere[TM] in the docs or forum about
the possibility to name each string of a stringed
instrument at the beginning of a TAB, but I don't
recall ...

The tuning information per string should appear
at the beginning of the TAB. It would look sth.
like this for a standard 6 string guitar tuning:

  [e]-||----------
  [H]-||----------
  [G]-||----------
  [D]-||----------
  [A]-||----------
  [E]-||----------

TIA for any pointer / link / hint!

Frank
--
http://frank-stefani.de

Re: Howto print every strings tuning at TAB start?

Patrick Schmidt-3
Hi Frank,

> Hello all,
>
> I read somewhere[TM] in the docs or forum about
> the possibility to name each string of a stringed
> instrument at the beginning of a TAB, but I don't
> recall ...
>
> The tuning information per string should appear
> at the beginning of the TAB. It would look sth.
> like this for a standard 6 string guitar tuning:
>
>   [e]-||----------
>   [H]-||----------
>   [G]-||----------
>   [D]-||----------
>   [A]-||----------
>   [E]-||----------
>

> TIA for any pointer / link / hint!

I'm working on this issue. Here is a workaround. It's not a very good one as you can't use the time signature in TabStaff this way. If you use a different string tuning just adapt the snippet to your needs.

\version "2.13.11"

tabKey = \markup {
  \raise #3.0
  \sans
  \bold
  \teeny
  \override  #'(baseline-skip . 1.5)
  \center-column {
  }
}

\new TabStaff {
  \override  Staff.TimeSignature #'stencil = #(lambda (grob)
  ly:time-signature::print (grob-interpret-markup grob tabKey))
  c1
}

HTH,
patrick

On 2/11/10 9:11 AM, "Frank Stefani" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Carl Sorensen schrieb:
>>

>> On 2/11/10 8:01 AM, "Frank Stefani" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I read somewhere[TM] in the docs or forum about
>>> the possibility to name each string of a stringed
>>> instrument at the beginning of a TAB, but I don't
>>> recall ...
>>
>> This has not yet been implemented in LilyPond.  It has been proposed and may
>> be being developed by Patrick Schmidt.
>>

> Hm ... I'm quite sure I saw something like a small
> square box at or before the TAB begin with a letter
> refering the tuning inside. Like "[E]".

I'm not aware of it.  But maybe it's there and I just don't know.

> If there is no such (string related) feature implemented,
> it would also help to name the whole staff like it is
> done with "soprano", "alto", etc. I would use
>
>   "E - A - D - G - H - e"
>
> and rotate it counter clockwise and put it in front
> of the TAB. Would be nice to make the gaps between
> the string names fitting the gaps between the strings
> of the TAB. I guess, the latter could be achieved
> bei selecting the correct font size and/or letter
> spacing (if that is available).
>
> Do you know whether this idea with the rotated text
> could work?

Yes, this should work.  You could do it by setting the instrument name for
the tabstaff.  And use a column markup for the instrument name.

HTH,