Hammer On/Pull Off Engraving

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hammer On/Pull Off Engraving

oldwhtman
It seems I may have a different view of how a tablature "slur" should be drawn compared to what is currently being implemented.  My preference when tabbing  a guitar instrumental is to use full notation tab with no standard notation staff above it.  I switched from Mup, because Mup doesn't support full notation tab.  They assume you'll want a standard notation staff to indicate rhythm and note duration .    I don't like the dual staff method because the standard notion staff is extraneous, if you can view the music in tablature with rhythm indicated.   No one needs both, so why not elminate one or the other.  It's wasted space.  

Anyway, if I could influence the Lilypond development team, I would have them implement a slur that was engraved identically to the tie.  The tie always connects the fret numbers.  Slurs will be placed above or below flags in instances where multi-voice music is involved.  In my ignorance of the programming involved, it sounds like it might not be too difficult to invoke execute the 'tie' drawing code instead of the 'slur' drawing code ... perhaps as a tweak.  This is the only issue I have encountered with Lilypond's tablature notation.  Other than that, it is utterly fantastic.

Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hammer On/Pull Off Engraving

Marc Hohl
oldwhtman schrieb:

> It seems I may have a different view of how a tablature "slur" should be
> drawn compared to what is currently being implemented.  My preference when
> tabbing  a guitar instrumental is to use full notation tab with no standard
> notation staff above it.  I switched from Mup, because Mup doesn't support
> full notation tab.  They assume you'll want a standard notation staff to
> indicate rhythm and note duration .    I don't like the dual staff method
> because the standard notion staff is extraneous, if you can view the music
> in tablature with rhythm indicated.   No one needs both, so why not elminate
> one or the other.  It's wasted space.  
>  
If no one would need it, why is everyone using them? ;-)
But I see your point.
> Anyway, if I could influence the Lilypond development team, I would have
> them implement a slur that was engraved identically to the tie.  The tie
> always connects the fret numbers.  Slurs will be placed above or below flags
> in instances where multi-voice music is involved.  In my ignorance of the
> programming involved, it sounds like it might not be too difficult to invoke
> execute the 'tie' drawing code instead of the 'slur' drawing code ...
> perhaps as a tweak.  This is the only issue I have encountered with
> Lilypond's tablature notation.  Other than that, it is utterly fantastic.
>  
This issue has raised before, but it is not possible to use the
tie engraver instead of the slur engraver. But you can adapt the
slurs manually by changing the direction via \slurUp or \slurDown.

Marc
> Mike
>