Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

oldwhtman
I apologize, if I'm mentioning issues that have already been addressed.

I just noticed that in a tab chord the horizontal placement of the dots is relative is the first note in the chord (or the note on the highest string).  This places the dot too close or too far away to other notes in the chord.  For instance, if the first note in the dotted chord is on fret 9 and the next note is on fret 10, the dot will be too close to the 10.

I also see that fret numbers in a chord are left justified instead of centered.  Would it be difficult to center the fret numbers instead of left justifying them as an option?  I think they look better centered ... and so apparently does "Acoustic Guitar" magazine.

Thanks for the good work you are doing.   I'm sure Lilypond will soon be the ultimate guitar tab software.

Re: Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

Marc Hohl
oldwhtman schrieb:

> I apologize, if I'm mentioning issues that have already been addressed.
>
> I just noticed that in a tab chord the horizontal placement of the dots is
> relative is the first note in the chord (or the note on the highest string).
> This places the dot too close or too far away to other notes in the chord.
> For instance, if the first note in the dotted chord is on fret 9 and the
> next note is on fret 10, the dot will be too close to the 10.
>
> I also see that fret numbers in a chord are left justified instead of
> centered.  Would it be difficult to center the fret numbers instead of left
> justifying them as an option?  I think they look better centered ... and so
> apparently does "Acoustic Guitar" magazine.

Thanks for your observations! Personally, I am out of time at the moment,
but these issues should at least be kept on the tracker.

@Valentin: I think this belongs to #810, could you please add it?

Thank you!

Marc
> Thanks for the good work you are doing.   I'm sure Lilypond will soon be the
> ultimate guitar tab software.

Re: Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

Valentin Villenave
Administrator
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Marc Hohl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your observations! Personally, I am out of time at the moment,
> but these issues should at least be kept on the tracker.
>
> @Valentin: I think this belongs to #810, could you please add it?

I think this could deserve a separate issue, since it seems relatively
easy to implement. Could one of you guys find a scanned example or
something to make the request more compelling?

Cheers,
Valentin

(PS - feel free to mail me directly in case I don't check this mailing
list for a few days.)

Re: Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

David Stocker-2
Valentin, what was the original issue with this? I can't seem to find
the thread in the [hidden email] archive. If I knew what the
desirable output was, I could find a printed example and post it to the
list.

Thanks,

David

Valentin Villenave wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Marc Hohl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your observations! Personally, I am out of time at the moment,
>> but these issues should at least be kept on the tracker.
>>
>> @Valentin: I think this belongs to #810, could you please add it?
>>

> I think this could deserve a separate issue, since it seems relatively
> easy to implement. Could one of you guys find a scanned example or
> something to make the request more compelling?
>
> Cheers,
> Valentin
>
> (PS - feel free to mail me directly in case I don't check this mailing
> list for a few days.)

Re: Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

Valentin Villenave
Administrator
On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM, David Stocker
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Valentin, what was the original issue with this? I can't seem to find the
> thread in the [hidden email] archive. If I knew what the desirable
> output was, I could find a printed example and post it to the list.

Here goes: http://n2.nabble.com/Dotted-Notes-and-Fret-Number-Alignment-in-Chords-td4216817.html#a4216817

Cheers,
Valentin

Re: Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

Federico Bruni
Il 05/01/2010 13:32, David Stocker ha scritto:
> Valentin, what was the original issue with this? I can't seem to find
> the thread in the [hidden email] archive. If I knew what the
> desirable output was, I could find a printed example and post it to the
> list.

Hi David, here it is:

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://n2.nabble.com/Dotted-Notes-and-Fret-Number-Alignment-in-Chords-td4216817.html#a4216817

OK, thanks to Mitchell I've opened a request:

David, feel free to send a more self-explanatory example if you find one.

Cheers,
Valentin

Re: Dotted Notes and Fret Number Alignment in Chords

David Stocker-2
I'll dig around, but now I see the examples and realize I may not have
many examples of tablature with stems and dots. I have a few published
scores and I'll consult them.