Could I get a critique on my first lilypond tab?

Could I get a critique on my first lilypond tab?

Patrick Horgan
Anything anyone wants to tell me about better slicker more elegant ways
of doing the same things would be awesome.

I'm attaching the lilypond file for Let Him Roll, a Guy Clark talking
blues.  He essential plays the same thing over and over.  What I've got
covers the main two variations.

I couldn't find anything that covered hammering and pulling with H and P
either under or over the tab or on the slur line, so just followed the
suggestion to use an appoggiatura for a hammer for something that
switched notes on the beat, and a grace notey sort of thing for a quick
hammer that just borrowed a bit from the beginning of the note for the
original note before the hammer.

I'm not sure how you would know the difference between a hammer and a pull.

You'll see my attempt to put H at appropriate places doesn't work.
Apparently a TabStaff is missing whatever engraver would put them in?  I
can put them in the regular staff, and it works, tucking them under the
Chords, but it's not at all what I want.  Help!!!;)

Patrick

lethimroll.ly (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Could I get a critique on my first lilypond tab?

Patrick Horgan
On 04/23/2011 02:03 AM, Patrick Horgan wrote:
> ...elision by Patrick...
> You'll see my attempt to put H at appropriate places doesn't work.
> Apparently a TabStaff is missing whatever engraver would put them in?  I
> can put them in the regular staff, and it works, tucking them under the
> Chords, but it's not at all what I want.  Help!!!;)
I figured it out.  It was the Text_engraver I needed.  So I'm attaching
a new version that has H in the appropriate place.  Please let me know
if there are better/more elegant ways of doing the things I do here.

Patrick

lethimroll.ly (2K) Download Attachment

Re: Could I get a critique on my first lilypond tab?

Federico Bruni-2
Il giorno sab, 23/04/2011 alle 02.36 -0700, Patrick Horgan ha scritto:
> I figured it out.  It was the Text_engraver I needed.  So I'm
> attaching
> a new version that has H in the appropriate place.  Please let me know
> if there are better/more elegant ways of doing the things I do here.

New version? It looks like the previous file :-)

BTW, I don't think that you are allowed to post copyrighted music on a
public list.

Cheers,
Federico

On 04/23/2011 02:50 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 23/04/2011 alle 02.36 -0700, Patrick Horgan ha scritto:
>> I figured it out.  It was the Text_engraver I needed.  So I'm
>> attaching
>> a new version that has H in the appropriate place.  Please let me know
>> if there are better/more elegant ways of doing the things I do here.
> New version? It looks like the previous file :-)
I added the Text_engraver to the TabStaff, so now the "H"s show up.
That's the only change, but the output suddenly became closer to what I
want, although I'd really rather have the "H"s show up above the slurs.

> BTW, I don't think that you are allowed to post copyrighted music on a
> public list.
Well, in the US every written work by anyone is copyright upon
creation.  If you were right, nothing could be posted, not even this
email.  I get your point though, I imagine you're saying that posting
(publishing), work that transcribes work that I don't own the copyright
to without the permission of the owner of the original copyright opens
me to the owners assertion that his rights have been violated.    I love
watching copyright rules change through the years, but I'm not a lawyer.
I have separately and previously contacted his management company to see
what they think of me sharing the tab online along with the tabs of
dozens of other songs of his out there, but I haven't heard anything
back from them yet.  I'll be sure to let the group know.
> Cheers,
> Federico
Best regards,

Patrick

Il giorno sab, 23/04/2011 alle 12.13 -0700, Patrick Horgan ha scritto:

> On 04/23/2011 02:50 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> > Il giorno sab, 23/04/2011 alle 02.36 -0700, Patrick Horgan ha scritto:
> >> I figured it out.  It was the Text_engraver I needed.  So I'm
> >> attaching
> >> a new version that has H in the appropriate place.  Please let me know
> >> if there are better/more elegant ways of doing the things I do here.
> > New version? It looks like the previous file :-)
> I added the Text_engraver to the TabStaff, so now the "H"s show up.
> That's the only change, but the output suddenly became closer to what I
> want, although I'd really rather have the "H"s show up above the slurs.

Oh sorry, I missed that.
Anyway, "H"s actually **showed up** in your previous file because you
used \tabFullNotation.  So you can comment out the Text_engraver and put
again \tabFullNotation:

\new TabStaff % \with { \consists "Text_engraver" }
      <<
        \context TabVoice = "hammersNpulls" { \tabFullNotation
\hammersNpulls }

"H"s will show up again.

You put the hammers in the TabVoice context: default tablature removes
markup, that's why you need \tabFullNotation.

If you search tabFullNotation definition in
usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/property-init.ly you'll see:

\revert TabVoice.TextScript #'stencil

If you comment out this line and run again the code above "H"s will
disappear again.

HTH,
Federico

On 04/24/2011 12:40 AM, Federico Bruni wrote:

> ... elision by patrick ...
> Anyway, "H"s actually **showed up** in your previous file because you
> used \tabFullNotation.  So you can comment out the Text_engraver and put
> again \tabFullNotation:
>

> \new TabStaff % \with { \consists "Text_engraver" }
>       <<
>         \context TabVoice = "hammersNpulls" { \tabFullNotation
> \hammersNpulls }
Thanks!  I did that.  Now I've changed again, I've made a markup command
\hammer-mark which takes an offset and puts a small sans whited out
circled bold H above (or below if you use _ instead of ^) the TabStaff.

#(define-markup-command (hammer-mark layout props offset) (number?)
  "Draw a small bold H at an offset.\
  Positive offset moves the H left, negative moves H right.\
  Usually put just after the first note of the slur.\
  Attach markup with ^ to put above the TabStaff and _ to put below."
  (interpret-markup layout props (markup #:sans #:bold #:tiny #:halign
offset #:whiteout #:circle "H" )))

Still, I was hoping for any comments on how I do the whole thing, and
whether there are more elegant ways to accomplish the same thing.

I'd also like to figure out how to attach the markup to the top of the
slur instead of to the staff.

Still, it's nice.  I love lilypond.