1) unwanted tab symbol 2) default behavior \tabFullNotation

1) unwanted tab symbol 2) default behavior \tabFullNotation

Patrick Schmidt-3
Hi,

1) the following code results in an unwanted (additional) tab symbol
in between a staff and a tab staff:

\version "2.13.24"

structure =  { \repeat volta 2 {s1} }

music =  {
   \set TabStaff.minimumFret = #5
   c'1
}

\score {
     <<
       \new Staff = "Music" <<
         \clef "treble_8"
         \new Voice = "structure" {  \structure }
         \new Voice =  "music"  {
           %\clef "treble_8"
           \music
         }

       \new TabStaff = "Tab" <<
         \new TabVoice = "tabmusic" {
           \tabFullNotation
           \music
         }

}

The unwanted tab symbol can be avoided by either not using \set
TabStaff.minimumFret or by moving \clef "treble_8" from Staff =
"Music"  to Voice = "music".

I think this should be mentioned in the docs as it happens only in
combination with \set TabStaff.minimumFret. If no one objects I could
add a few words to the NR.

2) the command \tabFullnotation currently has to be added to every
voice of a tab staff context, i.e.:

\new TabStaff = "guitar tab" <<
       \new TabVoice { \tabFullNotation\upper}
       \new TabVoice { \tabFullNotation\lower}

IMHO \tabFullNotation should affect all voices in a tab staff by
default, i.e.:

\new TabStaff = "guitar tab" <<
       \tabFullNotation
       \new TabVoice { \upper}
       \new TabVoice { \lower}

So what do you think of this?

patrick

Re: 1) unwanted tab symbol 2) default behavior \tabFullNotation

Marc Hohl
Hello Patrick,

Patrick Schmidt schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> 1) the following code results in an unwanted (additional) tab symbol
> in between a staff and a tab staff:
>
> [...]
>
> The unwanted tab symbol can be avoided by either not using \set
> TabStaff.minimumFret or by moving \clef "treble_8" from Staff =
> "Music"  to Voice = "music".
>
> I think this should be mentioned in the docs as it happens only in
> combination with \set TabStaff.minimumFret. If no one objects I could
> add a few words to the NR.
I think this would be great - thanks for your investigations!

> 2) the command \tabFullnotation currently has to be added to every
> voice of a tab staff context, i.e.:
>
> \new TabStaff = "guitar tab" <<
>       \new TabVoice { \tabFullNotation\upper}
>       \new TabVoice { \tabFullNotation\lower}
>     >>
>
> IMHO \tabFullNotation should affect all voices in a tab staff by
> default, i.e.:
>
> \new TabStaff = "guitar tab" <<
>       \tabFullNotation
>       \new TabVoice { \upper}
>       \new TabVoice { \lower}
>     >>
>
> So what do you think of this?
Hmm, I don't think that this is possible, because \tabFullNotation changes
properties within TabStaff and TabVoice contexts.

I tried to rewrite \tabFullNotation in terms of a "global" command, so that
it works document-wise, say

\version ...
\tabFullNotation

upper = ...
lower = ...

\new TabStaff <<
  \new TabVoice { \upper}
  \new TabVoice { \lower}

but that does not work, either :-(
Perhaps someone else knows how to put a complete layout block containing
two \context entries in a single command?